Starting A New Year, Some Thoughts You Should Have Pondered, Like, Yesterday

It's time for a New Year, but don't forget this year before it is even over.

133
Sydney Cole

There is nothing like being stuck with your family and even for much of your extended family for while to give you a few perspectives on things. First, whether you want to admit it or not, spending time with your family really reminds you of where you come from, good or bad. If you are anything like me, you can only handle so much of your family at once, but at the same time, my parents do not let me go spend endless hours like I wish I could with my friends while I have family in town. This means sometimes there is nothing better than just taking some time to myself to breathe and regather my thoughts.

Ever since Thanksgiving, I have been trying to do some healthy reflecting. I really have to try to not let things blur together in life as I glide from one to another. Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself, especially your mental health, is to reminisce about the good of things. Not long ago, my pastor presented us with some questions at the end of one of our services. Although the importance of the questions was to reflect on our lives, they also challenge you to process things and grow in your understanding of yourself. I encourage you to take the time out of your busy day to think deeply about these questions.

One thing I have learned is that there is great power in sharing these question and your answers with others. You would be surprised at how much you can hear your story in other people's words and vulnerability. In a hopeful effort for you to experience this glory, instead of just simply sharing these questions with you, I have also presented my thoughts and answers to them. Additionally, sometimes hearing what other people value and appreciate through their answers allows you to discover more about what you have to be thankful for.

1. What kind/thoughtful thing has someone done for you recently?

You receive a lot of things around the holidays; gifts, exams grades, and more. In the midst of all the holiday chaos, sometimes the most valuable thing someone can give in a period like this is simply their time. Just because we are on winter break from school doesn't mean all of our other responsibilities magically vanish or we suddenly have an endless amount of free time. In just the past few days, I have gotten to talk to my best friend from home more than we usually get time to during the semester. The fact that Maggie gives me extra time out of her day to catch up and talk to me is one of the kindest and most thoughtful things someone can do for me at a time like this.

2. Who is someone who always listens to you & how does that affect you?

There is this spectacular girl named Christy, and I swear she would listen me talk on forever. We are similar in a million ways so she really gets whatever I tell her. You get an undeniably distinct feeling when you talk to someone you truly connect with, and Christy is that person for me. This affects me to the ends of the earth because a simple conversation with Christy can easily turn the entire day around and give me the positivity and reassurance I need.

3. How have your spiritual beliefs or practices fulfilled you recently?

Every Sunday when I step into my church, it is almost like this blanket of blissful peace drapes over me. Being a college student does not allow for much peace and to have a place where they only thing I have to do is celebrate in other's happiness and my joyfulness is a pure utopia that I want to share with everyone I know.

4. What have you read, heard, or experienced recently that touched or inspired you?

Recently I have finished up one of r.h. Sin's newer books of poetry called "Rest in the Mourning." All of his work is remarkably touching to the soul. One of his piece from this book really resonated with my heart and soul. Read these words:

5. What is better about today than yesterday?

Well literally speaking, yesterday I had to work and today I have the day off, but more than that I know that with each passing day I am becoming the person I strive to be. With each passing day, the relationships with my friends are stronger. Most importantly with each passing day, I get to see more of God's plan for me unravel.

6. Who is one person who has helped you become the person you are today and what is one specific thing you'd thank them for?

Although this asks for one person, I have two who are equally significant in my life. My two best friends from high school, Hannah & Maggie have truly helped me become the person I am today. I will forever be debted to them for showing me the sheer strength it takes to follow your dreams and accomplish what you really desire.

7. Who prays for you and why do you think he/she prays for you?

This is such a difficult thing to really think about because I find pray to be something so secret but vulnerable at the same time. I believe my mother prays for me, and she does so because even though she cannot always be here for me physically, she is always looking out for me nonetheless.

8. What makes you laugh or smile often?

Literally each and every one of my friends. They love me so much and are always there with me into the odd hours of the night. Through stress and through serenity, I can absolutely always count on these marvelous people to make me smile, make me laugh, and make me feel valued.

9. What is the last song you listened to & enjoyed? How did it make you feel?

Off the top of my head, the most recent song I listened to & enjoyed was "Going To Mars" by Judah & the Lion. This song is truly relatable to listen to because the main lyrics talk about why would to aim for the moon when you are going to Mars. If you want to get deep about it, with the upbeat theme and the soulful words, it pushes me to not lower my expectations but to tough it out for what I truly want.

10. Have you experienced any blessings in disguise lately?

In the chaos that is finding student housing for next year, I settled down with a humble abode along with three of my hallmates from freshman year. I'm not sure if it is simply because of the time spent in the searching process or just God working in the background, but I have become significantly closer to one of my froomies, Morgan. She is such a blessing in my life and I do not know if I would have gotten to know her as well as I do now if it weren't for planning to live with her. Either way, I am so thankful to have her in my life because she is such a miraculous individual.