Turning 18 Doesn't Mean It's All Downhill From Here

Have to start "adulting" sometime, huh?

72

As I've just turned 18 (happy late birthday to me!), so many people have talked to me about how I'm a real adult now and I've even gotten the, "It all goes downhill from here."

Though, personally, when I think about turning 18, I really only think about how I can now vote, go to jail, and buy lottery tickets (that's what happens when you work at a pharmacy with a lottery machine). Don't worry, mom and dad, I won't be doing anything that will land me in jail.

I don't think that much is going to change now that I'm 18. Yeah, I'm technically an adult, but what does that really mean? I'm still living at home and am still pretty dependent on my parents.

On the other hand, turning 18 is still a big milestone. I've graduated high school and am about to leave for college, which is a pretty big deal. I'm excited to gain that independence and to be able to make more decisions for myself, though I know that I'll still be calling my mom whenever I don't know what to do.

This freedom that I've gained is something that so many people can't wait for. However, I'm going to miss not having to make those big decisions and being able to rely on my parents to do it for me.

It's so funny how young people wish to be older and have full independence, while older people wish to be back in their younger days.

I know I'm ready to be on the brink of adulthood. I can't wait to see what this year brings for me.