Thoughts Of A Learning Disabled Person Without Anxiety Vs. A Learning Disabled Person With Anxiety

Anxiety can mean a world of difference.
99

Being learning disabled can be tough. There is always at least one subject that you cannot understand, no matter what. You just seem to process it differently than others normally do.

Having anxiety along with a learning disability can be a punch to the face. You are constantly reminded of your disability, feeling as if you are "stupid" or "unintelligent." For someone with anxiety, simple situations can mean a world of a difference. Here are a few situations that describe that difference.

1. Upcoming test

Non-anxiety: "Ok, time for me to put this to the test. I know if I study hard, I can do this, regardless of my learning disability."

Anxiety: "No matter how much I study or advocate for myself, I know I'm for sure going to fail. I don't understand anything. I'll never be able to understand. I'm too dumb, stupid, and unintelligent to do well on this test."

2. In class

Non-anxiety: "Ok, I'm slowly getting it. It may take longer, but I'll get there."

Anxiety: "Huh? Where did you get four from? That doesn't make sense. The teacher is going too fast, but I'm too afraid to ask her because the whole class will know how stupid I am."

3. Taking a test

Non-anxiety: "I can do this! I studied hard, and I know that I will do well, regardless of my learning struggles. There is nothing to be afraid of!"

Anxiety: "I have everything to be afraid of. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know how to set up this equation. I'm blanking out. I forgot everything I studied. I'm gonna fail. Will the teacher see that I'm crying?"

4. Getting a test score back

Non-anxiety: "Oh, I didn't do as well as I thought. But it's just one test. I can go to the teacher for help and study harder next time, and I'll be back on track!"

Anxiety: "I knew it. I failed. It's because I'm stupid, I'm worthless, and I will never be as smart as anyone else. I need to see the teacher outside of class, but I'm afraid they won't know how to teach me because I'm different. I'm too dumb for their class anyway. If I'm too dumb, I won't get an A in this class. I won't pass. I won't graduate. I won't get a high GPA. I won't get a job after graduation because I am just too unintelligent. I want to cry."

5. Finding out final GPA

Non-anxiety: "It probably isn't as high as I would like it to be, but it is still higher than a lot of people! The only thing that matters is that I tried. I'm not perfect, and I can still be successful without a perfect GPA!"

Anxiety: "That's it. I am officially not smart enough for anything. How did I even get into school? I'm not fit for a place where people are smarter than me. My GPA isn't as high as others because I'm no good at all. No one is going to hire me with this GPA."