Everything That Went Through The Head Of A College Kid During October

Christmas break can't come soon enough.

31

Ahh October in Shippensburg, PA.

It's a beautiful time of year, the leaves are changing colors and it's finally cool enough outside to wear sweaters, boots and vests. Yet, there is a despondent feeling across college campuses everywhere, including our own.

For many Freshman, including myself, the newness and excitement of college has worn off. Yes, it's great to be out on my own and I love it here, but like many other students "I'm done". It's that wonderful point in the semester where we've just finished midterms, had Fall Break, and have a little less than a month until Thanksgiving Break.

We're tired all the time.

I never appreciated an afternoon nap as much as I do now. Of course when I take the afternoon nap, my entire work schedule is thrown off. If I sleep then, I'll have to stay up later to study for the 2 exams, 3 quizzes, and completing countless homework assignments I have this week. Then the next day, I'll wake up and be tired again, which calls for another afternoon nap. It's an endless cycle of procrastination.

Even though I'm tired all the time, I still get to go eat wonderful food at the dining hall! (Said no one ever.) The selection and quality of the dining hall has declined since mid-September. There is nothing good to eat and I have way too many meal swipes and am too broke to go off campus to eat. I can only hope that there is a group of potential students coming for an open house or tour, so that the dining hall will serve the good food.

Another downside of October is the plague that's going around campus. Everyone is sick and it's coming for you too! I've been sick for the past three weeks. When I was coming into college, I was warned that everyone would be getting sick. I dismissed this warning, since I (thought I had) have a very good immune system. I rarely got sick in high school, but it's impossible to avoid illness here. Being sick also doesn't help with the whole tired situation either.

There's one more thing that I'd like to complain about! On a more personal note, I waited all Summer for the NHL Hockey season to start, only to move out of network. I'm missing almost all of the Philadelphia Flyers' games. (I know, a major problem.) To add insult to injury, the only games carried out here are those of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In all of this complaining, I have good news!

According to Buzzfeed, this is just a temporary feeling. As the semester goes on it will get better! Well, the conditions will still be the same, but we'll feel better because it's almost over. So to all the other tired, sick, and broke college students, power through. In less than a month you'll be at home eating real food, sleeping in a comfortable bed, and mooching off of your parents.