Poetry On Odyssey: Thoughts From The Back Of A Coffee Shop

A poem dedicated to my childhood best friend, because letters are for chumps.
182

Sips of coffee unfailingly paired with a hardback;

my mindless routine. Mindless at least

until the dull embers of conversations grew into

scattering profound flames.

Coffee in hand, book in hand,

I claim the last table in the back of the coffee shop.

Soft ripples run through the coffee

directly to the chair of lingering silence.

Silence embeds reminiscence.

Coffee now a movie screen, I see us.

No more than four feet, struggling to climb onto

the basketball-infested trampoline.

However, it's no longer a trampoline.

First jumps awake the poisonous snakes in the pit;

getting them out becomes our mission.

"The Dynamic Duo has Done it Again!" they said!

Success calls for biking to Jackie's;

we always loved their ice cream.

Taller than five feet; evolution is clear.

Disastrous makeup and horrendous hair

obviously paired with acne and braces.

Playdates turned into hangouts,

and hangouts became coffee shops.

No one likes junior high, but I did.

Because I had coffee you.

They say good traditions never die,

and whoever "they" is happens to be right.

Coffee and books, laughter and tears:

the epitome of our last four years.

Caps in place, gowns ironed and zipped.

Suddenly, a fallen tear creates a glitch.

Diplomas in hand, all bags packed.

The ending of an era.

Three more tears shatter the screen,

coffee stares back at me.

Mind shouting

"I can't lose you! You're my best friend!"

Anger takes a seat in the director's chair,

giving coffee the silent treatment.

Vision veers to the right;

my forgotten book.

The morphing cover becomes us,

but it says "The Story of Me."

Caffeine, glitching again;

or so I thought.

Flipping through the pages,

gazing at the memories;

they all made me who I am today.

Marble coffee table

Reading in the trees

Car Night

Adoration

Just to name a few.

Me and you, best friends through

good, bad, ugly, and beauty.

I wouldn't be me

if it weren't for you.

Inspiration, motivation, dedication;

it all came from you.

Front and center,

the Dynamic Duo;

because who would I be

without you?

You are:

the beauty in every cup of coffee,

the beloved protagonist in every story,

the serenity of a happy ending,

the inspiration of craftfully woven words,

and the love and joy of a coffee shop.

Using these and more to mold me into who I am

makes you the star of my story.

Loving, laughing, crying, and healing

all is easier because

I have you.

We are bonded by these memories,

these moments of life we share.

College and distances are temporary;

Forever is our love for coffee each other.

Forever is our friendship.

And I look up and smile,

for what beautiful thoughts to have in the back of a coffee shop.

Cover Image Credit: Pexels

A Letter To My Go-To Aunt

Happiness is having the best aunt in the world.
22490

I know I don't say it enough, so let me start off by saying thank you.

You'll never understand how incredibly blessed I am to have you in my life. You'll also never understand how special you are to me and how much I love you.

I can't thank you enough for countless days and nights at your house venting, and never being too busy when I need you. Thank you for the shopping days and always helping me find the best deals on the cutest clothes. For all the appointments I didn't want to go to by myself. Thank you for making two prom days and a graduation party days I could never forget. Thank you for being overprotective when it comes to the men in my life.

Most importantly, thank you for being my support system throughout the numerous highs and lows my life has brought me. Thank you for being honest even when it isn't what I want to hear. Thank you for always keeping my feet on the ground and keeping me sane when I feel like freaking out. Thank you for always supporting whatever dream I choose to chase that day. Thank you for being a second mom. Thank you for bringing me into your family and treating me like one of your own, for making me feel special because you do not have an obligation to spend time with me.

You've been my hero and role model from the time you came into my life. You don't know how to say no when family comes to you for help. You're understanding, kind, fun, full of life and you have the biggest heart. However, you're honest and strong and sometimes a little intimidating. No matter what will always have a special place in my heart.

There is no possible way to ever thank you for every thing you have done for me and will continue to do for me. Thank you for being you.