My Thoughts On Amber Rose's SlutWalk

My Thoughts On Amber Rose's SlutWalk

Why I think this movement needs to be talked about.

41
My Thoughts On Amber Rose's SlutWalk
Ellen Scott

When my managing editor sent out a list of topics this one immediately caught my eye so I decided I see what it's all about. After doing some research I found myself asking why I had never heard of this before now. I also found myself scheming on how to get there next year.

The Amber Rose SlutWalk, which took place this past Saturday Oct.1. 2016, is a day festival filled with education, fun, and empowerment. There so much to do with live DJs, sign making, contests and giveaways, speakers, vendors, panelists, education booths, and FREE breast cancer exams and HIV testing. Paid for by the Amber Rose Foundation.

"The Amber Rose Foundation is a non-profit organization focused on promoting discussion about women's rights and equality issues, states the website. It is specifically geared towards women empowerment and fighting against victim blaming."

Perhaps one of the best things about the SlutWalk is that it's not just for women. The event's website states, "the only requirement is that you be inspired by your own passion to do something about the issues that plague our generation. It's about self-expression, unity, shedding stereotypes, and supporting one another."

Over the last four and half years I have become somewhat of a feminists and I am proud to say that. After taking women and gender studies classes and paying attention to the media, the way I view gender has evolved. My eyes have been open to all the injustices us females face.

Despite what some people may say I think that the SlutWalk is a cool concept because it is empowering. Some people tend to feel negatively towards the SlutWalk campaign for different reasons and while I see their side I feel differently.

Let's address the first and most obvious issue: the word slut. I mean what does that words actually mean? I don't know about you but I've never actually taken the time to look it up.

Merriam-Webster defines a slut as "a slovenly woman."
Urban Dictionary defines a slut as "a woman with the morals of a man."
Dictionary.com defines a slut as "Disparaging and offensive. A sexually promiscuous woman, or a woman who behaves or dresses in an overtly sexual way."

To me slut is a word that is has the gray area. Obviously, if someone is calling you a slut it could be offensive, depending on the context. The way I see it, why is slut even a thing? According to Urban Dictionary if I "have the morals of a man" than I'm a slut. What exactly does that mean? As much as I hate to say this, Urban Dictionary's definition of slut is kind of unfair to males. By saying that sluts have "the morals of man" they're pretty much saying that all men are sex crazed animals; and while that may be socialy acceptable, it's wrong. It's wrong because we are judging them and that's exactly what we're trying to stop here. Which leads me to the next big issue, slut shaming.

Why is slut-shaming even a thing? I mean seriously think with me here for a minute, why is it okay to call a girl a slut if her body count is higher than you're comfortable with? Why does the number of people she has slept with even affect you, it literally has nothing to do with you. Why is it okay to attempt to make a woman feel bad about her decision to embrace her sexuality, but congratulate a man for doing the exact same thing? There is no good reason for this!

This concept is something that I had struggled with before I was stuck between "be a lady" and "who cares what people think" then I realized that I don't care what anyone things and if my past actions make a man not want to be with me than I don't need him anyway. Some argue that owning the word will not be good for adolescent girls, it will confuse them. Of Course, I don't think young girls should be out there being promiscious but you all know what you when you were a teenager, We shouldn't teach girls to be scared of their sexuality instead we should educate them. If they are being safe, then why does it matter is Lisa sleeps with more guys than Brad has girls? In the end there really is no difference. We need to stop judging everyone's every actions becuase you only have one life to judge and that would be your own.

All in all, while I don't think SlutWalk is perfect, I do think that isn't as horrible as some people think it to be. It's got the right intention it may just need to evolve. Every movement has to start somewhere.