A Thought On New Year's Resolutions

A Thought On New Year's Resolutions

To keep or not to keep?

7
A Thought On New Year's Resolutions

If you’re like me, you’re always looking for improvement in your life. That being said, I am always the one to come up with a list of resolutions for the upcoming year in order to find said improvement and make the upcoming year even better than the last. I tend to stick to around five to ten resolutions that I want to keep throughout the year. I feel so confident and motivated, that once I finish my list that I feel like no one and nothing is going to stand in my way.

And usually, that’s what happens… For the first couple of weeks. I don’t know about you but after the first couple of weeks I see myself slowly starting to break one or two of the resolutions on my list, then a couple more weeks and a couple more resolutions until eventually, I’m not keeping a single one. Going to the gym? Kept that one for a solid month and a half and then binge watched "Grey’s Anatomy" one weekend and lost all motivation to go the following week. Eating healthier? Kept that one for a month and then one Saturday rolled around and hello to my favorite junk food… Oh, how I missed you.

Why is it that we start off the year so strong and so motivated, not only with resolutions but with life in general, and then slowly we start slacking and not keeping true to our resolutions and goals we had set out for ourselves? This is not okay. We should keep the holiday and New Year hype going all year long. We need that motivation we have at the beginning of the year in order to push ourselves and become greater, become a better version of you than the one from the previous year.

Your resolution list shouldn’t be something you write and not intend to keep. You made those resolutions with a purpose; that purpose being to improve your lifestyle. Stay true to those resolutions and stay true to yourself. Surround yourself with people who will motivate you and keep you on track to keeping the resolutions you have made.