To Those Who Fail At Open-Mindedness: Chronic Illness Edition

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"

30
Front Porch Public

To whom it applies,

These days, it is so easy to quickly form a false opinion about someone. Every single one of us is guilty of drawing conclusions too fast that lead to judgment. For some unknown reason, we don't like to give people the benefit of the doubt, instead, we would rather believe they are at fault. This goes for so many things, whether it's that judgmental stare, handicap parking confrontations, and much more, we must learn to be open minded.

Before drawing to conclusions so fast, we must first learn to cycle through a few steps of fair thinking first. For example, take a person parking in a handicap spot. They walk out of their car and appear perfectly fine. Initially, we accuse them of being wrong and breaking the law. Why though, do we think this just because they appear to be fine fine and their illness is invisible? Did you ever think of heart diseases, chronic pain, respiratory issues, etc.? Disabilities are not always visible. Before accusing you must ask yourself- is it possible that there is something going on that I can't see? You must approach the situation with an open mind and give the person the benefit of the doubt. After all, Wendy Mass states, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about".

My question to you is why is it that you always accuse myself and others of being wrong. When I'm in a wheelchair, yet appear as if I'm okay, why do you give me and others stares of judgment? When I need accommodations in things, I do why do you look at me as if I'm lazy? When I park in handicap parking spots, why do you assume I'm taking advantage? Is it the way you were brought up, do you believe that everyone is abusing accommodations instead of simply trying their best to be normal?

I would appreciate if you would stop treating me like a liar, faker, and abuser of the law. Instead, start believing that my accommodations are not something that I enjoy needing to have. I'm not sure if it is an issue of jealousy, but why be jealous? My accommodations allow me to perform like people like you, healthy people. It is upsetting to me that I must rely on my accommodations when you can go about your life normally. Truth is, I'm the jealous one.

Please have an open mind next time and strive to work on this. It would save the chronically ill a lot of stress as well as tears and frustration. This is a favor I am asking of you. Please try it out, my guess is that it will serve as an eye opener to you. In this day and age, it is easy to get caught up in what we think is true vs. what is true. Simply mind your own business and if you stick your nose into somewhere it doesn't belong, you better make sure you put your open mindedness to use.

Thank you.

Sincerely, The Chronically Ill