Now Is The Time For Those New Year's Resolutions

Your resolutions were rigged off the bat.

28
Unsplash.com
Bethany Legg via Unsplash

How many people have we seen abandon their New Years resolutions by now? Why is it so hard to stick to these commitments? The fact of the matter is that if we have to wait until an arbitrary date to better ourselves, we aren't truly serious about self-improvement. The only logical way to view a new year's resolution is as glorified procrastination.

For a student, a new year's resolution is fairly analogous to putting off homework until the day it's due and then wondering why it's such a drag to get it done. If a student like myself wants to complete homework with drive and motivation, we first have to become the kind of person who tackles it as soon as it's assigned. This is no different than a New Year's resolution. Going to the gym, eating healthy, and kicking vices are matters of so much importance that learning to address them immediately is critical.

Instead of focusing on what issues we need to improve upon, perhaps our primary focus should be "how can I turn myself into the kind of person who is driven to tackle these problems without delay."

2018 was a year of unparalleled growth and improvement in my life, and the changes didn't begin on January 1. I spent the beginning portion of 2018 constantly thinking about the fact that I have been lazy and undriven to create substantive change in many parts of my life, willing to settle and be satisfied for less. After spending an extended period of time reflecting upon this, I, over time, built up my willingness to change the way in which I approach my flaws. Once I had decided wholeheartedly that I needed to make improvements as I identified them, self-improvement became a lifestyle in and of itself. Eight months ago, I began going to the gym and have had no desire to quit. I became far more conscious of nutrition, I've tackled several vices which I had become a slave to, and I cut toxic people out of my life.

Life often seems burdensome, inherently filled with too many obligations. We often quit on our resolutions because they begin to feel like an extra set of challenges; more infringements upon our freedom in an already difficult life. The reality, however, is that the greatest infringement upon our freedom in life is a lack of self-control and motivation to overcome our vices and conquer the tasks which lie between us and success.

Don't let an arbitrary calendar date based on your revolution around the sun determine how you improve your life.

Regardless of what day of which month today is, the next 365 days of your life begin today. So if you've failed or are struggling with your new year's resolution, start a new one today, one that can be the foundation for countless others.

Resolve to become the kind of person who tackles their problems with drive and without delay.