This Would Be The Best Day Ever

This Would Be The Best Day Ever

No one will ever know how excited I am to see you.

6
This Would Be The Best Day Ever
Personal Photo

When I was 3 I couldn’t imagine a day without you. When I was 10 I couldn’t imagine a day without you. When I was 11 I told you that if you ever died I was going to bury you underneath my bedroom carpet so we would never be far apart. When I was 16 I grew up and realized there would be days without you, way too soon.

Reality hit.

Now, it’s 1:30 am and as much as I dwell on missing you and the days you’re not here I decided to think about what a day in my life would be like now, not missing you.

I would wake up in the morning and my reality would be better than my dreams. The sound of Fluke’s paws clattering on the wood floor and you telling him to do his breakfast dance would make me crawl out of bed and scream at you both to shut up. I’d slam my bedroom door like the drama queen I can be. If you were still here on earth for one more day, I would think the worst thing that could happen to me was being woken up before 10 am. How silly.

When I finally got up out of bed and in the kitchen, I’d yell again because the “coffee station” was a mess and there was sugar everywhere. I wasn’t a morning person. After I made oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast, I would go to sit in your room by the fireplace and watch the Price is Right or Regis and Kelly with you. You’d be on the bed with your legs folded under you like a pretzel and Fluke would be curled up next to you.

If I knew I only had this one last day with you, oh Nee, there are so many things I would have to say to you.

I would tell you how scary these years have been.

I would tell you about my prom night, about how Pop and I took a picture with your urn in the background. I would tell you how I was scared to kiss the boy that took me. I would tell you how I felt like a princess in my dress. Can you believe Pop spent $500 on it? I would tell you about the first time I got drunk and how bad my head hurt the next morning. I would tell you about my first heartbreak. How I laid on the floor and felt like I didn’t have enough strength to get up and how Pop had to put me in my bed and make sure I was okay. How I gossiped to him about that stupid guy, he was a trooper for listening. Talking about boys was totally not our thing.

I would tell you about the day I graduated high school. How Mom and Danny came and how I took pictures with all of the girls I grew up with and how Pop took me to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and let me order Nachos and Crab Wontons for my appetizer. That alone was at least $25 bucks. He loved spending money on food.

Oh man. Would I tell you about senior week. I would tell you how surreal it was that I was all grown up. How I spent the week with my very best friends that I knew I would never see again. I would tell you how liberating it felt to stumble in our condo at 3 am and eat a whole tray of mac and cheese without having to worry about being too loud. I would tell you about the morning Sianna and I went skinny dipping in the ocean when the sun was rising. I wish you were there to see how much fun we had.

I would tell you how much I grew up in those years and how I hope I made you proud.

I would tell you about last Christmas when Pop and I screamed at each other and I broke the bathroom door when I slammed it. I would tell you because then you’d call him an asshole just like I did that day. You and I, we were a team. Really, sitting at the table for breakfast with an empty chair just broke both of our hearts and the only way to cope was to break the bathroom door and scream at each other over the pancakes we had no appetite for.

In that same breath, I would thank you for marrying such an amazing man. I would thank you for every penny and every gummy bear you’ve ever given me. I would thank you for being my best friend. For doing my laundry, making me after school snacks, for letting me watch R-rated movies when I was 10 and for covering for me when I would sneak out to go to Luke’s house after mom had already told me I wasn’t allowed to go. I would thank you for tucking me in every night and bringing a glass of water each time that cluttered my side table.

I would thank you for the best damn childhood a girl could wish for.

Then we’d go to lunch. I’d drive of course. We would sing Kenny Chesney at the top of our lungs and wherever we would go, you’d get tuna salad on Rye bread. We’d drive around town together just because we could. We’d lay by the pool and bake in the sun together. Then you’d go in your room to exercise on your stair stepper and I’d plop down on the couch to watch tv.

At 7, you’d break out the wine and I’d break out the nachos with my special seasoning. We’d agree on a scary movie and go into your bedroom to watch it. I’d sit on the floor to eat the nachos so I didn’t get crumbs on your bed and then I’d crawl to the back of the bed and fall asleep. You’d be so pissed at me for snoring.

When you’d go to wake me up, I would yell at you for making me move. I’d storm out of your room and slam the bathroom door behind me before I jumped in the shower. When I got out of the shower I would come in your room with my hair still dripping and a towel wrapped around my body. I’d give you a big “wet hug” before I turned around to walk to my room. I would say “I love you to the moon and back. Sleep tight and don’t let the bedbugs bite!”

But Nee, if I knew this was going to be our very last day together again, I wouldn’t let go. I would hug you for eternity. I would kiss your forehead and tell you I think you are the most beautiful soul I have ever met. Only after you telling me you’d see me one day again would I let go and kiss your earthly body goodbye.

No no no. Scratch that. That would be too hard.

First, I would ask you for your advice for my wedding day. I would ask you how scary having kids actually is, and if you think I would be a good mother one day. I would ask you how to make fried chicken like you made on special occasions. I would ask you for advice on being so strong.

One last time before we said our goodbyes, Nee, I would ask you how good my butt looked in the towel I was wearing.

You wouldn’t have expected that question, so we would both laugh. I would tell you one more time that I loved you and that is when I would leave your bedroom. With a laugh and tears streaming down my face.

Nee, sometimes I have these dreams that we get one more day together like this. Just the idea makes me smile.

If we get one more day like this together again here on earth, please promise me you won’t leave without doing our goodbye dance in the window together.

Please promise me you’ll stay.