This Too Shall Pass: An Insider's Guide to Surviving Midterms

4

We have all been there. It is late, you are logging hour six in the library, and your work is nowhere near finished. When midterms roll around this becomes the bleak reality for many students, no matter what school they call home. So, how can you survive the week without having a mental breakdown? Here are three lifestyle choices that will help you thrive during hell week.

Don't isolate yourself.

No matter how much work you have, it is crucial to make time for relationships. After all, you do not go to school for the sole purpose of taking classes. Social life is equally as important. Spending time with your closest friends can brighten even the toughest days. If anything, best friends will listen to you complain about how much work you have, make unhealthy food choices with you when you need some extra motivation, and they won't judge your second-day-in-a-row outfit. When you need a mental break, make sure to take one with a friend who will help you forget about your workload for however long you are together.

Indulge yourself.

We have all heard how important it is to take care of yourself during times of stress. Self-care has many forms. Working out is great for an endorphin boost, but if you just want to eat Ben & Jerry's in your bed it can be equally as refreshing. During midterms, all coffee consumption is justified. All late night food decisions are justified. Basically, anything you do this week is justified. Take advantage of it -- there is still a while until finals week, so you won't have this kind of freedom again until the end of the semester.

Hang on to hope.

However rough midterm week is, hold on to the shining light at the end of the exam, paper and project filled tunnel -- spring break is right around the corner! At this time next week, all your worries will be gone, at least temporarily. Whether you are going somewhere warm and tropical, or plan to spend your time catching up on Netflix on your couch, the important thing is that you will get a break. I repeat: you will get a break. No matter how far away it seems in the midst of all your work, it is important to remember the prospect of what is to come. Even if you still have work to catch up on over spring break, it is crucial to give your mind a rest for at least a few days. At the very least cling to that. Sleep, TV, the beach -- whatever it is you are looking forward to -- let it carry you through the last few days.

Friends, food, and fun are all little things that make life beautiful. Rely on them to help you get through midterms and you might be surprised how enjoyable the week can be.