5 Things You're Joking About On Social Media That You Shouldn't Be

Be careful with what you say.
154

WARNING: THIS MAY BE A SENSITIVE ARTICLE FOR SOME PEOPLE

As a millennial living in today's world, I know all about memes and social media, I'm writing this from a social media platform which will be broadcasted to other social media platforms for others to (hopefully) see. So do not be confused when I say that we are taking advantage of the internet. It is a blessing and a curse, but in this case, I have no logical words.

“At this point, it’s pretty clear that you can joke about killing yourself on Twitter if you’re not actually going to do that or have [a] mental issue,” Golden said.

WHAT

THE

F*CK

Honestly, humanity, society...WHAT IS HAPPENING. When is it OK to joke about things like this??? I am going to try so hard to not treat this as a personal diary and rant about this, but it is going to be so hard. At the same time, it won't be, because I'm not surprised.

While walking through my everyday life, I would either have to engage in or overhear conversations that will consist of this saying, "I'm going to kill myself." Because I am a naive, caring human being, I start to worry. I'll kind of pause if I'm talking to the person and simply ask, "is there something you want to talk about?" Or, "[insert their name], what's going on?" and I will get the weirdest look. You know the saying: "they looked at me like I had four heads?" Well, picture that. Because with mental illness becoming more acceptable to talk about, including suicide, apparently, joking about it is acceptable to...right?

Michael Scott, you've summed up my internal feelings perfectly. Thank you.

In light of this terrifying situation, I have come up with a list of things that are socially acceptable to say but shouldn't be:

1. "I want to kill myself."

Ask me when this is acceptable to say? After you failed an exam? After you received some bad news? No, not really. Listen, I have been brought up to empathize with people, but the only time you can say this if you are feeling suicidal. Side note: I have learned that these feelings come and go, but if you find yourself in danger please seek help. For all the people who think talking suicide is "cool," there are actually so many people who talk suicide because they feel terrible. SUICIDE HOTLINE: 1-800-273-8255

2. "I'm so OCD."

Well, for starters, being the grammar geek I am, that doesn't even make sense. "I'm so obsessive compulsive disorder." Sorry, try again. But in all honesty, that sh*t sucks when you have it. Don't believe me? Watch this, and then go ahead and try it. I arrived at my 9:45 class at 10:03 am because of this. I get it, OCD is on a spectrum like autism or ADD or ADHD but if you're one who frowns on the thought of having your socks out of the order of the rainbow, but doesn't spend the rest of their day thinking about it, so much that it has interfered with their day, then knock it off.

3. "I can't focus, I must have ADD/ADHD."

Or you had too much coffee today, or you are actually on your phone more than on your work? Or...did you just not get enough sleep and keep zoning out? Do you even know what this acronym stands for? I had the pleasure back in high school knowing a couple of students with ADHD (I probably knew more, just didn't know it), and they are lovely people, don't rain on their parade.

4. "I'm just so bipolar."

Are you? Are you bipolar or just a little moody today. Don't say crap like this if you do not have bipolar disorder. It's not something to be romanticized. I've learned about bipolar disorder and it's not exactly a walk in the park. It's this weird, unpredictable rollercoaster of emotions that no one really wants to deal with.

5. [When someone isn't to your liking] "Dyke," or "Gay."

Sorry...what? The word dyke in itself is just a synonym for a lesbian, and gay is the same but more geared towards men. News flash people, liking the same sex does not mean anything is wrong with a person. The first time I heard this I got so defensive and it was a conversation I was eavesdropping on. Now I'm not one to go out of my way to make someone feel uncomfortable, but they were making me feel uncomfortable and what goes around comes around so please, for the sake of humanity, just stop. Just because someone isn't as conservative as you when it comes to relationships doesn't mean they're wrong.

Now before anyone gets critical about this, if you do feel personally attacked...don't. If you truly think "wow, I say one of these" then you probably have a reason to. I've learned that most people are not THAT ignorant about things like this. If you realize that you say one of these things (or more), no one's mad at you. Just try not to do it as much -- make it a New Year's Resolution. If you really feel a need to tweet about it to get a conversation going, I would consider rephrasing or seeing a therapist. Also, that riddle about sticks and stones breaking bones and words never hurting is complete B.S.

In fact:

- 1 in 40 adults has OCD.

- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for ages 10-24.

- 7 percent of millennials identify either as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.

- 2.6% of the U.S. population has bipolar disorder.

- About 11% of children ages 4-17 have ADHD.

In summary, you never know whose feelings you may be hurting. Be careful with what you say.