This is not writing

This is not writing

What happens when writing is demanded in quantity not quality
6

"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." - Stephen King

While I have long admired and strived to achieve this quote, after months of A LOT of writing, I have begun to feel that Mr. King was missing something. You see, to be a good writer, one also needs to feel a lot because writing is less about words and more about the sentiments that they convey.

After weeks of churning out articles to meet quotas and deadlines, I am beginning to feel disenchanted with writing. I don't feel like my writing has improved or my articles have grown more eloquent or more moving. In fact, I feel quite the opposite. I feel like my writing has grown trite and my articles thoughtless. The truth is that writing a lot can grow to be useless. No person has a perpetual font of new, creative, inventive and imaginative ideas to share with the world on demand. Writing for quantity is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It strips writing of its cultural and social worth, leaving behind empty words and commonplace sayings.

That is not what being a writer is about. Being a writer is about thinking and taking your time and writing and re-writing and re-re-writing ideas until they are perfect. A good writer has never been judged solely on their quantity of works, it is always the quality of their writing that comes first.

So after weeks of truly following Mr. King's inspiring quote, I have learned that a writer must write a lot in order to understand that writing itself is not what actually makes you a writer- finding something valuable and compelling to write about is. So perhaps the purpose of so much writing is to show the aspiring writer what exactly writing and good writing at that, is all about.