This is Halloween

This is Halloween

Happy Halloween from Stonehill College!

181

As I kid, I was always very excited for Halloween. My aunt was a master of making me and my sisters costumes, and after a year of torturous normalcy I finally had an excuse to wear fairy wings. As I got older (and it was no longer socially acceptable to knock on people’s doors and ask for candy) Halloween kind of faded into the background for me. One year a friend had the bright idea to get a Ouija board, but we all chickened out before even buying it—we’d all heard of those movies. We settled on eating the candy we were supposed to be handing out to the trick-or-treaters, lighting a pumpkin-scented candle, and watching Hocus Pocus on VHS (the bad quality made it even scarier).

As it turns out, at college we like to make a big deal out of the pseudo-holiday. I say ‘pseudo’ because I still have to get up and go to class on the actual day. In any case, the weekend before Halloween will be packed with festive activities at Stonehill College to prepare for all the candy-eating that will go on.

Kicking it all off Wednesday night, Stonehill is welcoming children of the faculty and from the surrounding towns to follow the candy route across campus and do some early trick-or-treating! Each resident hall will be handing out candy, and there’s even supposed to be some face-painting and a maze in the basement of Boland Hall. Though it will be a nice change to see a bunch of kids running around, I’m pretty sure all of us are going to be a little jealous that they’re getting free candy, though.

This Friday, the residents of the Holy Cross Center will get some uncharacteristic traffic in our resident hall this Friday night due to the annual event Haunted Sem. Each resident hall on campus is given a hallway in the Holy Cross Center to decorate with the scariest themes they can think of. Teams of artists pour hours into to planning and decorating, while the actors of the hall dress up in a fitting costume and get ready to jump out at their friends. The resident hall with the scariest piece of the Haunted House gets an additional five hundred dollars to add to their annual budget, which will mean more events, more activities, and more fun for the winners and their residence hall.

To follow up on our haunted house, we’ve got a Halloween dance this Saturday, all classes welcome, which should get everybody fired up for whatever other activities they have planned to celebrate Halloween (nobody is too psyched that it falls on a Monday this year). I’m very excited to see what everyone will be going as, especially because the best idea I could come up with was an exhausted, over-worked student. College campuses can definitely be spooky, and with the increasing appearances of clowns on college campuses, who’s to say this Halloween won’t be the scariest one yet?