This Is For The People Critiquing Lady Gaga's Body

No one asked you.
14

According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, there are currently at least 30 million people in the United States suffering from an eating disorder.

30 million.

And out of those 30 million, one of them dies every 62 minutes.

Now, there are plenty of reasons why these individuals have the impression that their bodies aren't good enough. Could it be the multi-millionaire celebrities that pose on the cover of magazines, showing off their tight, toned stomach's that have been altered by plastic surgery? Could it be the fact that the average woman in America is a size 14 to size 16, yet the average fashion model is a size 0 to size 2? We are faced with unrealistic body expectations daily that pollute our mind and our society's standard of beauty. Do we really need to pile on our opinions to the self-criticism that so many people already put themselves through each and every day?

No.

We don't.

So, if you are one of the people who had something negative to say about Lady Gaga's body during her Superbowl performance, shame on you.

But I'm not going to say "look who's talking", or tell you that your body isn't perfect either. Do you want to know why? Because that's not what really matters.

You see, despite what society has clearly taught you about what it means to be beautiful, you've got it all wrong. There is nothing in this world more beautiful than a woman who is confident in her own skin, and there is nothing more pathetic, more shallow, and more cowardly than someone who thinks it's their place to sit behind their computer screen and publicly degrade women.

Unfortunately, such nasty criticism generally comes from a place of deeply rooted insecurity that can't be cured with a few extra crunches, or 10 more minutes of cardio in the gym.

Society needs to realize that it's more ugly to be mean than it is to have an imperfect body, so we can all start to value what makes us truly beautiful- our hearts.

The woman you are criticizing has been an advocate for authenticity her entire career. She has been fearlessly herself and given little attention to negativity, instead, refocusing the media's attention onto what can be learned from each negative situation that presents itself- including this one. She has consistently had her focus on self-improvement, all the while still building others up, rather than tearing them down to come out on top. Maybe it's time for you to start taking notes.