13 Reasons Why This Is Important

13 Reasons Why This Is Important

If one thing had gone differently for Hannah, if one person had reached out to her, helped her, been there for her...
88

"Thirteen Reasons Why" has just appeared as a series on Netflix, consisting of thirteen episodes for Season 1. Although I read the book Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher, it was too many years ago to remember the details. This show, which came out on March 31, has brought me back into the life of Hannah Baker and the thirteen reasons why she killed herself.

It follows the very intimate details of her high school days, through tapes she left behind for those who hurt her. She explains her story in various ways--maps, people, parties. And as a viewer, you just have to sit back and watch as the story unfolds before your eyes. We follow closely to the main character, Clay, on his struggle with figuring out what truly happened to Hannah, why she did what she did, and how he was a part of it all.

Although I don't remember the book well enough to say if the series did or did not stick to the same plot, I thought the series was powerful in everything it did. There were moments when I felt like crying, screaming, when I was telling the characters what to do. Yes, there were some cheesy scenes. But, the show felt very real to me. It felt like this could really happen. And it showed the trail of Hannah getting from Point A to Point B, in seemingly small steps that added up in the end.

As you uncover the tapes, you begin to understand that this is important. That this is real. That this is people like you and me. Here's thirteen reasons why this show (and book) is important:

1. On average, 1 person commits suicide every 13 minutes. By the time you finish reading this, another life may be lost.
  2. About 2/3 of people who complete suicide are depressed at the time of their deaths. Depression that is untreated, undiagnosed, or ineffectively treated is the number 1 cause of suicide.
  3. There is 1 suicide for every 25 attempted suicides.
  4. There are 121 suicides per day on average.
  5. Suicide claims more lives than war, natural disasters, and murder combined.
  6. Currently, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
  7. Four out of five teens who commit suicide have given clear warning signs.
  8. 1 out of 6 students nationwide (grades 9-12) seriously considered suicide in the past year.
  9. 1 out of 12 college students has a suicide plan.
  10. Every suicide intimately affects 6 other people.
  11. Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than females. Females attempt suicide four times more than males.
  12. The most commonly reported means of completing suicide, across all groups, was by firearm (51.5 percent), followed by suffocation or hanging (24.5 percent), poisoning (16.1 percent), cutting (1.9 percent) and drowning (1 percent).
  13. Talking about suicide does not cause someone to be suicidal.

If one thing had gone differently for Hannah, if one person had reached out to her, helped her, been there for her...I recommend watching Thirteen Reasons Why to find your own thirteen reasons why this is important.