Thinking Of A Gap Year After College?

Thinking Of A Gap Year After College?

Why taking some time off might benefit you down the road.

225
Thinking Of A Gap Year After College?
pexels

A gap year can be defined as an extended period of time off between life transitions. Although the gap year between high school and college has become a very popular route for many students looking to broaden their horizons, taking a gap year between college and getting your first "real" job is less common. After all, conventional wisdom tells us that college should prepare us for careers and we must jump into the professional world as soon as possible.

But what if during your senior year, you realize you are not quite ready for your first job, or not quite ready for graduate school? What if you had wanted to take a gap year after high school, but shied away from the idea? There is no time like the present, and now you might want to use this small window of opportunity to take a gap year you have always wanted.

What can you do during a gap year?

Putting all collegiate tomfoolery aside, you probably think the gap year is a great opportunity for you to get yourself together and help some people along the way. Although this is true, you have remember that as a post-grad, you will most likely be extremely poor and not able to afford that glamorous backpacking trip through Europe you thought you could go on. This is the time to get creative and explore options.

It is easy to invent some sort of travel agenda on your own dime. You may consider teaching English or volunteering in another country. You'll soon find yourself immersed in a new culture and getting meaningful work experience at the same time. Many programs like Volunteering India provide safe and affordable volunteer experience with a wide choice of programs to choose from. If you are interested in free room and board as you travel, check out WWOOF -- this volunteer farming program is a way to learn practical farming skills and be a part of the organic agricultural movement; all without having to pay for a bed to sleep in after a long day working in the heart of agrarian culture.

If traveling isn't your thing, there are plenty of local opportunities that you can pursue. How about learning a new hobby or volunteering with an organization that serves your community? City Year and Teach for America are two programs that allow you to volunteer, teach and serve in American public schools, along with gaining valuable resume experience. Although, you don't have to go through a specific program to have a meaningful gap year experience. Whether it's learning photography, hair-cutting or coaching your local soccer team, a gap year can give you the time to explore dormant interests that will serve you well for years to come.

What if you can't afford it?

Taking a "gap year" doesn't necessarily mean that you need to be unemployed, but it is important to look at your finances and see if taking a gap year is a viable option. If you choose to participate in a structured program, it is highly likely that you will receive a living stipend and also have some of your student loans forgiven or deferred.

With the Peace Corps, certain public student loans may be eligible for deferment or for public service loan forgiveness. Being an au pair is another great way to see the world and also make mad money while watching kids. The Jobs Abroad Bulletin is your go-to site for finding payed work around the world. Who said you can't travel and make a little cash along the way?

How will taking a gap year benefit you?

It may seem that by taking a year off, you are delaying your career or graduate school. But, in the grand scheme of things, taking one year off makes little difference. Unless you are concerned about how taking a break from school or a career will impact you in the immediate future, many people who go the gap year route don't regret it and call it a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Taking a gap year will give you a shinier resume, and something awesome to talk about in interviews that will really set you apart. You'll have firsthand experience to share about people, places and ideas that your peers might have never heard of. This valuable experience for your resume can highlight your ability to go against the grain and think outside the box. Your open-mindedness, willingness to try something new and grit you acquire by taking a gap year can be a cornerstone to success.

Some people look forward to getting started with their careers after college. If that’s not for you, then all the more reason to take some time off to discover what this world has to offer.