Did I Waste My Summer?
Seasonal

To The One Who Thinks They Wasted Their Summer

Trust me. You didn't.

250
Sybil Scovill

Growing up watching "Phineas and Ferb," it's easy to think that you've wasted their whole summer. You watch them build roller coasters and go into space, so you can't help but compare your summer to theirs. And when you look back all you see is Netflix, working and sleeping. You think about that summer bucket list you made and how you don't think you accomplished anything on it. And you can't help but think: Wow I wasted my summer again.

But let me stop you right there!

You did NOT waste your summer. And let me tell you why.

Did you spend the majority of your time working this summer? That's not wasting your summer! By working you are making money that you can put towards paying for college, gas or groceries or even towards going out to eat or see a movie. By spending the bulk of your day at work you are providing for your future. And future you is going to be so glad that you spent your time at your job.

Did you not make any money this summer because you had an unpaid internship? That's not wasting your summer either! By spending your time at your internship you are learning valuable skills that you will need when you enter the workforce. And maybe it was boring and there wasn't enough work to do, but at the very least this internship is going to help you get a better job in the future.

Did you sleep a lot? That's not wasting your summer! Everyone knows that school is stressful. When you have an entire summer off of school that is your time to relax and recharge. A big part of relaxing and recharging is sleeping. It's okay that you spent so much time asleep because when you go back to school and only get a few hours of sleep all those extra hours from the summer are really going to pay off.

Did you watch a ton of TV? That's not wasting your summer! Watching TV or Netflix makes you happy. And things that make you happy aren't a waste of your time.

You didn't travel a lot? That's okay! Summer doesn't have to be about traveling. Just because you didn't go to the beach every weekend or take an expensive European holiday doesn't mean you wasted your summer. So what you only went to your grandparent's house? Did you enjoy seeing them? Did you get good food? Yes? Then you didn't waste your summer.

You didn't see your friends a lot? That's okay! You'd be surprised by how many people are in the same boat as you despite what their Instagram may say. People are busy during the summer with their jobs, which means it can be hard to make plans. It can be even harder when none of your friends are in the same city as you. Did you make some friends at your job? Did you spend time with your family? Yes? Then you didn't waste your summer. Yes, you may not have spent it with your best friends, but you did spend it having fun with different people.

Did you laugh? Did you smile? Did you grow a plant or draw or write? Did you play an instrument? Did you learn a new recipe? Did you swim or play a sport? Did you make someone else's day? Did you clean? Did you go outside? Did you get ready to go back to school? Did you take a summer class? Did you workout? Did you listen to music and dance and sing out loud? Did you make a new friend? Did you tell a joke? Did you love?

If you did any of these things, then you didn't waste your summer, you lived it.