35 Things You'll Never Forget About High School (No Matter How Hard You Try!)

Let's go back to the good old days of promposals and AP exams.
300

Co-written by Shanru Xu, Sahiti Gellala, Mitali Bidkar, Sam Warren, Sarah Olatidoye, and Zainab Thompson.

High school is definitely a rollercoaster ride, with the need to constantly keep your grades up, while simultaneously maintaining a social life and trying to have fun before you’re bundled off to college. But hey, it’s graduation season now, the time when high school seniors often reminisce about their favorite moments: the good, the bad and the unexpected. Here are some things we’ll never forget about high school.

1. Getting dinner with your friends before Friday night football and watching the football games

2. Dressing up for school dances and prom, and all the pre-dance excitement including dress shopping and promposals!

3. (Friendly) Teachers that are willing to bump up your 89.3 to an A.

4. The cost of public education (Spoiler: it’s free!)

5. Using the bathroom as an excuse to leave class and not coming back for an hour, leaving our teachers to think that we have digestive problems

6. Spending a minimum of two hours every night trying to figure out your outfit for the next day

7. Having our teachers and classmates actually know who we are (Heads up: I have a name!)

8. Our sweet, caring friends that are there through every high school mishap, from a breakup to a bad grade.

9. Teachers not caring what you do as long as you do your work.

10. Teachers who play cards with us during finals week when we have nothing to do.

11. Joining your friends during lunch to laugh and yell so loud that you’ll get weird looks from everyone

12. Stopping to talk to classmates and friends in the hallways which makes you feel cool and still cared for

13. When you’re finally finished with all your exams (including APs) and you don’t care about what happens to your Student Pack

14. The frustration of trying to find the answers to homework in a group chat

15. Or if you’re lucky, you find a Quizlet with all the answers you need

16. Using pencils, gum and time on a phone charger as currency

17. Watching all your friends graduate and feeling immensely proud of them

18. Being able to go on trips and having more fun than you expected

19. Doodling in class when you’re bored out of your wits

20. Finding that one teacher who actually cares about you and with whom you can talk to about anything

21. Being surprised when you actually learn something in class that’s useful to your everyday life

22. Witnessing students do strange things ( like the guy with the frying pan during a fire drill, the girl running in a full T-rex outfit, a mini-moshpit during class changes, Bakugan/Beyblade battles in the hallway)

23. Having that one really weird teacher

24. Having nerdy arguments with your friends (like debate on whether an anti-gravity hammer is a viable weapon in a zombie apocalypse or Marvel vs. D.C.)

25. Doing homework during class because you fell asleep the night before

26. Observing extracurricular kids in their natural habitats (culinary kids serving a teacher’s dinner, theater kids during a play, speech and debate kids at a tournament, art kids working on paintings)

27. Laughing at AP Exam and SAT memes on Twitter (Sorry Collegeboard!)

28. Watching a teacher make a terrible joke that’s so bad your fake laughter becomes real

29. Running to lunch on chicken wing day like you haven’t eaten in a month

30. Counting down the days till every break and coming back a "new" person

31. Slightly inedible cafeteria food that you eat anyway because you’re not allowed to leave campus

32. Trying to get to all your classes on time when they’re on opposite ends of the school

33. Scrolling through Twitter on Sunday night when you have a ton of homework to do, and finding a post by your county admin saying that school has been canceled on Monday

34. Substitute teachers that don’t make you do any work and let you do homework, study for a test and chill in class

35. Realizing you’ll pass that hard test once the curve is added