11 Things You CAN Do While Pregnant

11 Things You CAN Do While Pregnant

Even though everyone says you can't.

2650
11 Things You CAN Do While Pregnant
Personal Photo

Right after I announced I was pregnant that people started telling me that I couldn’t. I couldn’t do anything. People all around were glaring at me in the gym and telling me to take it easy, saying that I couldn’t do so many of the things that I loved or that needed to be done.

Well, let me tell you what I told them.

I’m Pregnant. Not disabled.

This is not meant to offend anyone with disabilities. Just because I am creating a human does not mean that I cannot do some things that I used to do. I understand the need to limit myself, listen to my body, and perhaps cut a few things out. However, being pregnant does not require me to cuddle up and read ‘What to Expect’ all day until I burst.

So, being stubborn and unable to sit still, I did many things I was told I couldn’t. Here’s my I CAN list.

1. Exercise

Before I was pregnant I was super active! When I announced to the world I was pregnant I got a lot of shame for my gym habit.

Two or three times a week you would find me lifting weights or running the track. Though pregnancy slowed me down a bit and cut down the amount of weights I was lifting, I continued almost all the way through my second trimester!

After that I opted for pregnancy workout videos and incorporated ankle weights and resistance bands.

Working out makes you feel great and can make a childbirth quicker and easier! There are tons of great Youtube workout channels that cater to pregnant women.

2. Travel

Husband deployed, school out of session, what was a girl to do? Pregnant with my first baby and all alone, really I just wanted to go home.

Regardless of people calling me crazy, I got in my car and drove 19 hours north.

It didn’t kill me! I did have to take quite a few more pee breaks than normal. I always suggest when traveling later in your pregnancies to acquire a copy of your medical records from your o.b. and carry them with you, just in case Baby decides to come early.

3. Adventures

One of my proudest pregnancy moments took place when I was 34-35 weeks pregnant and traveling in Colorado.

I spent a whole week climbing mountains. Everyone thought I’d push myself into an early labor, but baby Kyra stayed snug, ultimately coming into this world after an induction 2 weeks after her due date.

4. Baby Prep

When I was 3 months pregnant my husband (Army) was sent overseas for training and wasn't coming back until three days before my due date. This meant that I was left to assemble the crib and baby furniture as well as prepare the whole nursery alone.

I know that Tom would have loved to be here with me to make these memories (I just happened to trap myself in the hallway while putting together the crib). But, he couldn't, and there was nothing we could do about it.

These are things that we CAN do ladies! It just takes a little more time than it normally would and a little more dedication.

5. Continue Your Education

Who’s the big round lady hobbling to class at 8.5 months pregnant? That’d be me! So many people told me that when I had my baby I would drop out of school. This idea broke my heart. I worked my butt off for years to achieve grades and merit high enough in order to receive the scholarships that I did. There was no way that I was giving up a (kind of) free education at my dream school.

Who says us moms can’t have it all? Why are we not allowed to have an education or career and a family? I've proved we can.

6. Having a Social Life

If you're pregnant, I hate to be the one to break it to you. You will lose 99% of your friends after you have your baby. After Kyra was born, no one invited me out anymore. There were no study group invitations or shopping trips. Even those in the school Honors Program stopped inviting me to participate in volunteer events.

This is the sad truth, but there is a solution. Check your community, whether it be a college, work place, or town, and see if there are any organizations for Moms. Georgia Southern did not have a group for parents, so I started one! I now am the President of the schools' Student-Parent Organization and have made several dear friends through this group.

Your social life isn't dead, but it is changing.

7. Eat Healthy

Contrary to popular belief, you are not really eating for two. When I was pregnant, I felt like I should have been eating for two with all of the cravings I suffered. However, according to the Institute of Medicine, there are no extra calories needed in the first trimester, only 340 daily extra calories needed in the second, and 450 extra daily calories in the third trimester. Talk to your doctor to find a plan that is right for your body, but in no way is it necessary for you to eat that whole chocolate cake, or eight tacos because 'the baby is hungry', no matter how you feel. I know, it's tough. But to put that into prospective, 340 extra calories is the equivalent to one small chocolate croissant.

8. Do it without a S/O

I was not technically without my husband, since he was paying rent and was able to talk to me every couple weeks. However, he was not physically present the vast majority of pregnancy. There is a negative stigma attached to single mothers, especially young ones. It is 100% possible to do this by yourself. Pregnant, I lived 19 hours from my family, my husband was overseas, and my friends had slowly dissipated. My baby girl got me through, and the phone conversations with my Mom and best friend. I know several women who are wonderful Mom's who did it all without a s/o, and without much family. You can do it, Momma. It is possible.

9. Work

I worked fast food until I was in my second trimester. I did not like the job to begin with, but even with 8 years work experience, it was the only one I could get in our small town area. I only quit this job when the business I started began to take off enough to pay for diapers and baby supplies. I know moms who work until they go into labor. Work is something you can definitely stick to while pregnant, despite the naysayers.

10. Get Creative

Pregnancy seems limited in many aspects. I have always been a creative DIY kind of person, and felt super restricted at first. You can't paint or sand, or eat certain foods. No more painting furniture or using certain glues.

You can still get creative! You just have to use your imagination. To decorate Kyra's rag-tag furniture I bought stick on wall paper from the Dollar Tree. Instead of painting everything the same color, I wrapped everything from her lamp to her bookshelf and dresser, in the same design of self-stick wallpaper, and it turned out wonderfully!

11. Be You

Pregnancy and Parenthood changes you, that is inescapable. Really, it should change you. You will become more responsible and hopefully learn to better manage your time. Your priorities will shift for the better. But, you will be 100% a different person. Some friends and family may express a fear of that change. The parent me cares more about nap times, sniffles, and cuddles than the non-parent me, I am ultimately still me at the core. My loves are different, I prefer to spend Saturday night watching Moana for the millionth time with my husband and baby instead of partying. Priorities shift, as they should, but it is possible to still be you, baby or not.

These are the top 11 things that people told me I couldn't do while pregnant. Being the stubborn woman I am, I stuck with what felt right for me, and what was healthy for my baby. I encourage all other expecting mothers to do the same! So get out there, Mommas, and kick some butt!

*** Note: I am not a medical professional. Just because I could do these things, doesn’t mean everyone can. There were many times in my pregnancy that I couldn’t do some things that I would have liked to. I was also a very active person before I conceived, which makes a difference. If you have any question over the safety of any activities, ask your doctor instead of the internet. Google will often tell you to sit down, breathe deeply, and think mommy-thoughts. Do not try anything you are not comfortable with or that you feel may endanger you or your little one.***