Things I wish I could tell younger me

4 Things I Wish I Could Have Told 'Younger Me' Before My Freshman Year Of High School

As Little Mix said, I wish I could go back in time and listen to my own advice.

264

Familiar feelings of apprehension and anticipation have consumed my past few weeks as I think about going off to college and starting my freshman year. Similar to four years ago when I prepared for my first year of high school, I have been desperate for any advice that might ease my fears about meeting a whole new group of peers and professors for the first time. Coincidentally, while packing my bags for college last week with my playlist on shuffle, the song "Little Me" by Little Mix inspired me to consider all of the things that I wish I could have told "little me" as I was starting my freshman year of high school.

1. Stop over-stretching yourself.

I was in so many extracurriculars during my first two years of high school that I forgot how to enjoy myself. I thought that being so involved would help me build up my resumé to apply for college, but I soon realized that most schools aren't concerned with the quantity of activities that you do, but rather the quality. Instead of enhancing my life, I ended up spreading myself so thin that I couldn't focus on my schoolwork and my grades began to slip (grades are ALWAYS more important than extracurriculars). I learned that while being involved is a great way to make new friends and explore your interests, sometimes there is simply not enough time in the day.

2. Everyone is not going to love you.

This was a really difficult one for me, as I tend to care more than I should about what other people think of me. I went into high school with the assumption that I would become friends with the entire school, and that the friends that I entered high school with would be the ones that I left with. However, I soon realized that through growing as a person, I ended up growing out of some of my old friendships. Along the way, I have built wonderful new friendships that I have maintained through the ups and downs of the past four years. While losing some of my closest friends was something that I struggled with, I learned that sometimes, the best thing you can do for something (or someone) that you love is to let them go.

3. Don’t be afraid to say no.

Speaking of not over-stretching yourself, don't worry about saying no or quitting something. I was a competitive softball player entering high school and assumed that I would continue to be throughout my four years. However, I soon realized that my school's team dynamic wasn't what I expected it to be, and I found myself dreading every practice and game. It wasn't even that I didn't have the time for it or I couldn't balance it with my schoolwork- I just wasn't enjoying myself anymore. Despite my love for the game, I realized the best thing for my mental health and my productivity was to walk away from it my senior year. Instead, I found I was able to put more hours into babysitting, a job that I loved, and use my time in a way that was more conducive to my success and my happiness. In giving up something I was passionate about, I learned that while there may be uncontrollable factors that limit you, it is up to you to control the way in which you respond to them.

4. Finally, don’t be afraid to say yes.

Freshman year provides you with so many opportunities to meet new people and explore your strengths. Look into clubs that might interest you, go to homecoming (no matter how cheesy it is!), or reach out to someone who you usually wouldn't have approached. High school provided me with a new beginning to be more outgoing and adventurous than I ever was when I was younger. Whether it was joining the tennis team with a group of girls who I can now call my best friends, taking over as president of the Ski Club sophomore year despite barely being able to ski, or even just talking to the girl who sat next to me in English class, I never passed up an opportunity to meet new people and I urge you to do the same. Even though I entered the doors of high school with anticipation and anxiety, I found myself walking out with a phenomenal group of people and experiences that have shaped me into the person I am today.