3 Things To Do While You're Waiting For That Significant Other To Come Along

Teach yourself to value you and your wellbeing while you are single.

186
Ariel Lustre

I get it; trust me. Most of we single people get that feeling every once in a while, that loneliness that comes with wanting and waiting to find someone to do life with, the person who both stars in our fun adventure stories and is our go-to for a night spent watching funny movies. It’s normal to want to have a relationship.

That being said, though, being single can be great, too. I mean, there are the basic benefits: you only have to plan around yourself, you can flirt freely (or if you’re me, awkwardly say things like, “So...do you like bread?”) and you don’t have to worry about actually looking presentable for anyone (for the love of all that is good, this is NOT an excuse to go 2-3 days without showering...).

Even more so, there are things that are actually beneficial about being single, things that you couldn’t necessarily do as easily with a significant other in your life (OK, not worrying about putting on makeup or dressing cute is definitely “actually beneficial”).

1. Let yourself focus on YOU.

That’s not my way of saying to become some super selfish person who only looks out for you and you alone -- I mean, I want people to still like you. But it is completely OK, more than OK even, to ask yourself, “What do I want?”

When you’re in a serious relationship, what you want and what your partner wants often become intertwined, you both wanting what is best for one another, and that’s how it’s supposed to be. That’s part of what makes relationships work.

So, take advantage of being single, and figure out who you are and what you want outside of someone else. Figure out what is truly important to you, what you would be willing to compromise for another person and what would be a deal-breaker.

2. Up your friend game.

Unfortunately, a big part of being in a serious relationship is the negative effect it can have on friendships.

It’s understandable -- it’s hard to equally divvy up your free time between your significant other and your friends. In the midst of figuring that balance out, the sad reality is that a lot of people put their friendships on the backburner, creating noticeable distance, if not fracturing the friendships altogether (DON’T BE THIS PERSON).

So guess what you should do while you’re single? Focus on your friends. Seriously. I could preach about how ditching your friends for a relationship is all kinds of wrong (!!!!), but especially while you’re single, you’ve got no reason not to build up those friendships!

Have those fun movie nights where you laugh and talk about life, those 2 a.m. study dates with your best friends or those nights where you dress up and go for a girls’ night out.

Prioritize spending time with your friends. Before you know it, you and your friends will be going off in different directions. Someone will get a job in a city across the country; someone will move closer to family to settle down; someone else will be adventurous and spend a year traveling around the world. You don’t want to have missed out on those friendships while you had the chance.

3. Better yourself.

Yeah, not exactly the most fun idea.

Like I said earlier, though, when you’re in a serious relationship, you’re already wishing there were more hours in the day to dedicate to spending time with your loved ones, much less to spend focusing on improving yourself.

So take advantage! When you’re single, what better way to invest your time than taking all those things in life you want to change (that you have control over) and actually doing something about them?

Maybe you have a really bad habit of sleeping the day away (by “you “ I most definitely mean me), or you have a dream of moving off to the Big Apple, or maybe you really hate your major/career path but have been too scared to change it.

Take those on now!

They don’t have to be monumental like moving off to New York, either! You can do simple little things to improve yourself.

Devote time to caring for your physical health, like exercising, eating well (this includes those intermittent splurges dessert, too!), getting enough sleep, etc.

Make time to care for your mental/emotional health, too. Take a day, or at least a few hours, to practice self-care. Curl up and read a good book or watch Netflix, go enjoy the outdoors, write in a journal, organize your week in a planner, talk to a friend, do some yoga, cook your favorite meal -- whatever it is that helps you unwind and rejuvenate, do it.

Make sure of one thing, though: don’t do it for anyone else; do it for you, for being the best version of yourself. Teach yourself to value you and your wellbeing while you are single. In doing so, it will not only be easier for you take care of and remain true to yourself when you are in a relationship, but you will also recognize the importance of your partner doing so, as well.

Most importantly, remember that being single is not an inherently bad thing. It does not mean that you have some huge character flaw, that maybe, just maybe, if you were a little thinner or had a cuter laugh you would be more likable, more attractive.

No, being single is simply a part of life.

It’s a time that is so full of opportunities for new experiences and adventures, for reflection and growth, for dreams and self-discoveries.

It’s a chance to get to know who you are and to figure out who you want to be.

Are you ready?