To My High School Self

To My High School Self

Don't wish it away. You will miss it every now and then.

9
To My High School Self
Hoosier Hardwood

If you only had someway to expect it, things might be a little different, but in a way, it's made you who you are. You don't have any idea the amount of stress you're going to endure. I know, you can't wait to be "on your own," but you can't imagine the amount of homesickness you're going to feel for the family that is now two hours away instead of a few steps from your bedroom. You think you have it all planned out, but you just wait. Life is not as easy as it seems in high school.

The work will not come easy all of the time and for the first time ever, you're going to have to study. Honestly, you still might get a C even when you think you studied to get an A. You won't know how to react when everything seems to be falling apart around you and it's nothing like what you're used to.

You'll cry. You will cry more tears than you ever thought you would. It won't even be about a boy. It'll be about homework or a test, not a fight with friends or family. Do not let this discourage you. For every bad moments, there are good ones, and college will be as great as it seems.

You may not get along with your mom right now, but once you don't live under the same roof or "rules," you'll realize she's your ultimate best friend. She's the only one that can calm you down during your 5th anxiety attack of the day or the one to tell you to spend time with your friends becauae you deserve it.

Right now, you're pretty sure you basically know everyone and have all the friends you need, but you couldn't be more wrong. Once you get out of high school, don't see your friends every day and meet new people, you'll wonder how you ever got by in life without them. They will become your saving grace when your high school BFF or mom are too far away to take you out for Steak & Shake you so desperately need.

You'll also become a lot closer to the friends who "went" to college with you. Not all high school friendships last, but the few that do, will grow so much more. You don't have to talk every week to still have them by your side.

Find a stress reliever early. You might think you have one now, but you haven't experienced stress. Whether it's running, playing an instrument, or crying in front of the whole world to see, find one. People will probably join in with you because they're feeling the same.

You will miss high school curriculum for the sole fact that everything came so easy to you. Do not complain about how easy it is now, you will miss it so much when you've been studying for 12 hours and still have no idea what you're doing. Take complete advantage of study guides because you'll hardly ever see one again.

On that same note, you will miss your high school teachers. Honestly, you'll feel slightly unprepared for college, but know that some, if not all of them, tried their best to prepare you. For Paoli students, you will miss Mrs. Wyatt so much once you graduate. You won't ever want to take Spanish again because Spanish isn't Spanish without her.

Say thank you to your parents. You don't realize how much they do for you until you go to college. When they ask you to do something with them, do it. When they want to spend time with you, spend time with them. When you're in college, you're going to wish you had spent more time with them or could have them eat a meal with you every once in awhile. Try not to take your time with them for granted.

You will change so much from high school to college. But, finish enjoying high school. You'll wish you could go back every once in a while. Enjoy college too, though, you'll love it and your school. Most of all, enjoy life. Take it by storm and don't be afraid. You won't regret it.