freshman year. college.

"College". A seven letter word that can either make you, or break you. It is a word that many young people find intimidating because of all of the work that comes along with it. There are several things I wish someone told me before I started my freshman year, such as an upperclassman or someone just simply older than I was. So here I am, a Junior in College writing down the things I learned the hard way. Only you can decide wether to "sink or swim" and let me tell you, either one is possible.

1. Do not take an 8 a.m. class.

"Early bird gets the worm" does not count when making a schedule for college classes. College is FULL of late nights. Wether it be studying, a conversation with friends you can't stop, or a Netflix series that drags you in, late nights and early mornings just do not mix.

2. Make a new group of friends.

Everyone else will too. It is okay to have new people in this new phase.

3. Take pictures every chance you get.

One day, College is going to be over, and you are going to want to look back and remember all of the good times, and maybe even some of the bad, and laugh about them until your stomach hurts.

4. Watch out for the Freshman fifteen (or fifty)

Even though every college kids bank account appreciates free ANYTHING, your size 2 pants will eventually be begging you to stop!

5. Call your mom, even when you don't want to.

Don't be the kid who only calls back home when you need money or when you failed a test so you call to suck up before they check canvas and call you first. (we all have those moments FYI).

6. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Because you are going to, just learn from them.

7. You're going to fight with your roommate.

Living with someone besides family can get tough, and they'll get on your nerves, but it's normal and happens to everyone.

8. It's okay to wear a dirty shirt to class.

If your alarm goes off 5 minutes before class and all your shirts are dirty, spray that sucker down and roll with it. (But shower later please)

9. Stay up late with friends.

The best conversations happen when your delirious.

10. Skip class at least once.

But not on test day.

11. Get to know the girls/guys in your dorm building.

It's helpful to know people around you, plus who knows...they could become your best friends.

12. You're gonna have friendship breakups.

End it on good terms if possible, and learn from it.

13. Don't be afraid to get involved.

You'll make some of the best memories if you do.

14. Be a good friend.

"Do unto others as you would have them to unto you". -the Golden Rule.

15. Go to the Sporting Events.

Game days are the best days.

16. Study.

Even when it seems hopeless, you might surprise yourself.

17. Take the professor, not the class.

Ask around and see who the best professors are for what classes, and take them.

18. Stand up for the things you know are right.

Even if nobody is standing with you. You'll thank yourself later.

19.Learn to appreciate coffee.

Trust me, it'll be a life save 9 times out of 10.

20. Keep your grades up.

Your GPA will thank you.

21. Go out on dates even if you don't think you want a relationship.

What's the worst that could happen? making a new friend?

22. Always have a rain jacket handy.

If it says more than 20% chance of rain, chances are it'll rain. Be prepared, sis.

23. Keep a snack in ya backpack.

Just trust me on this one.

24. Be accepting of all types of people.

This isn't high school anymore. Not everyone you're going

25. Be yourself.

It's the best person you can be.