Things To Do In Tuscaloosa When Football Season Leaves Us

With football season ending, here are a few ideas to keep you entertained over the spring semester.

13

With today's national championship game marking the end of the college football season, you may find yourself wondering how to spend your free time during the upcoming semester. Fortunately, there are multiple activities to do in Tuscaloosa when you aren't studying or catching up on sleep! While nothing can replace tailgating and game days inside Bryant-Denny, hopefully, a couple of these activities will make this semester more enjoyable for you and your friends!

Rent Equipment From The Rec Center

The UA Outdoor Recreation Center, which is attached to the "old rec," offers students a variety of services. Also featuring a full-service bike shop, students are able to rent many different types of outdoor equipment from the center. Everything from bikes to tents and canoes is available for rental at reasonable prices. This makes it very easy and affordable to get a group together for a fun weekend adventure around Tuscaloosa. And if you're looking for something even more adventurous, you can sign up for more expensive experiences such as hiking, rock climbing, and whitewater rafting! You can check out their website here.

Join An Intramural Team

Joining an intramural team is a great way to make new friends or have a good time with an existing group of friends. I have played intramurals every year at Alabama, and there are few things I enjoy more than intramural softball season. Whether you're an ex-high school athlete looking to get back on the field or someone new to the sport, there are plenty of options available. Spring intramural options include softball, basketball, indoor soccer, and tennis. Also, if you're one of the people who made a resolution to healthier and more active, an intramural offers a great opportunity to exercise and have fun outside of the gym. You can find more details here.

Visit The Tuscaloosa Amphitheater

I have seen two different concerts at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater (John Mayer and The Avett Brothers), both of which were excellent experiences. While you won't find Taylor Swift or Drake on the event calendar, plenty of talented musicians play shows at the amphitheater, and it is very close to campus. Going to a concert can be costly, but I highly recommend going at least once during your time at UA to experience the atmosphere and hear some great music. And it makes for a pretty good date idea if you're looking for options! Also, while it is still winter time, you can even go ice skating at the amphitheater until it warms back up for concerts! You can look at upcoming performances here.

Stick To Your New Year's Resolutions

Everyone wants to start eating healthy and working out. But not many people actually stick to their resolutions for more than a month or two. Maybe you're even one of the people who has given up like that in the past. Well, this year you can change that! Without football always ruling your weekends, there is more time to focus on maintaining a healthy diet or exercising regularly. Maybe your resolution is to meet new people. You can spend time looking for an organization on or off campus to get involved in since weekends are less busy during the spring. If you made a resolution for 2017, now is a great time to build it into your routine so that you're prepared when the greatness of football season returns.