Things To Do As You Countdown The Days To New Years

Don't know what to the days after Christmas before New Years? Here you'll find 10 simple ideas to keep you busy!

51
Torsten Dettlaff via Pexels

Celebrations should not and do not end as soon as Christmas day passes. Many families still celebrate other holidays that carry over into the New Year. My family, for one, continues rejoicing all the way until January 6th for Three Kings' Day (Feliz Dia De Reyes). However, celebrations that follow Christmas do not necessarily have to revolve around a holiday. Gathering with loved ones and expressing gratitude is always something to appreciate and strive for. With such positive energy being so prominent during this time of the year, now is an even greater time to celebrate your coming to a closure of everything you have gone through these past 12 months.

Continue enjoying the company of loved ones, or if by yourself for the next few days prior to New Year's Eve, embrace the comfort you will have in the calm before the beautifully chaotic storm that comes with a brand new year. Here you will find some fun and productive ideas to keep you entertained as you prepare for a brand new year.

1. Donate your clothing.

That one favorite t-shirt of yours that you've worn as part of your go-to outfit every week should no longer see the light of day in 2018. Of course, simplicity in clothing is definitely something everyone should try to achieve every now and then, to make life less complicated than it already is; but, consider buying a fresh new one to keep a little sense of novelty in your life.

If you really want to be rid of all of your past comforts and step into something new, then gather all of the clothing you know you can replace, and donate it to those who desperately need it. Those who have survived our past and present natural disasters will truly benefit from your offerings, especially if the items you can afford to give are brand new.

2. Have a bonfire for luck.

If you believe in doing little things for luck then keep reading. This does not have to be your typical bonfire that's filled with games and storytelling -- although there is no reason not to include this as well! To keep the theme of new beginnings in play, have friends or family, or just yourself, sit beside the fire and write out things you want to do in 2018. Tear each list item into an individual piece and throw it in the fire. By physically writing out your wishes and kindling them into flame and smoke, you are letting the world know what it is you hope to achieve and you are more likely to carry out your goals.

3. Plan a trip to the slopes!

Surround yourself with a blanket of snow along with a beautiful view of the frosty mountains and engage in a thrilling activity to get your excitement revved up before the new year!

4. Game night.

Games are always incredibly exciting and entertaining and will definitely make the days fly by. Loved ones might still be hanging around after the 25th, so break out all of your family-favorite activities, and have a game night every night before New Years.

5. Have calendars for the new year ready.

Of course, this is something that must be done! We cannot start the new year without getting rid of all of this year's calendars. As soon as January 1st hits, change those played out calendars and hang up beautiful new ones to cleanse yourself of the year before and have a fresh new

6. Clean, clean, clean!

Don't start the new year with dust bunnies and clutter everywhere. Blast some tunes, find a broom, grab some disinfectant wipes, and begin your cleaning spree. You'll thank yourself later, especially when spring allergies begin to surface.

7. Update your resume.

Over the span of 12 months, it is safe to assume that there were many experiences made, and perhaps many of those relate to your career! Now is the time to revise and add all of the wonderful work you've done. Help boost your future career endeavors by staying up-to-date on all of your professional work experience.

8. Send cards of gratitude.

Needless to say, always give thanks. Words are always appreciated, but being creative and making your own thank-you cards or sending some sweet and simple store-bought ones will really stand out to someone. If you celebrate Christmas, then gifts will have most likely be given out to everyone you know, but think of coworkers or colleagues that you might have missed and have truly impacted you in some way. Take the time to invest and express a little gratitude to all who deserve it.

9. Prepare for a disaster.

Considering our current climate these days, it is incredibly important to be prepared for any unfortunate situation that might arise. There are many sites that offer guidance for this, such as the American Red Cross. Do yourself and your family a favor by getting started on safety and emergency preparedness so that lives are protected, no matter what.

10. Write a letter to your yourself.

Whether you're writing to your past or future yourself, take some time to reflect on the lessons you have learned over the previous years and pass on a little wisdom. Remember where you've been, where you are, and where you want to be and tell yourself all of that. When the next new year comes, read that same letter and see how much you have grown since the moment you wrote it. A little reflection on your life is a great way to help you appreciate everything in your past and move forward into your future.