17 Things You Certainly Won't Use in College

Rock that wrinkly shirt like everyone else.
286

There are only a few weeks left before freshman on college campuses move into their new home. Every freshman Googles list of what they should bring to college, and actually brings everything. But, there are many things that are bought, but rarely used.

Here is a list of things that I and other college students brought to their first year, but never really used. Save the money, and leave these things in the store.

1. A clothing steamer.

I bought one freshman year, thinking I'd get the wrinkles out of my shirt before class. In fact, the steam just made my shirt wet, and I ended up getting ready 30 minutes before class. Rock that wrinkly shirt like everyone else.

2. Plastic plates and metal silverware.

You might be thinking that you are saving the earth, but you end up becoming too lazy to wash the dishes, and they don't fit well under the bathroom sinks. It ends up being more of a hassle, and throwing it away in the trash is much easier.

3. Brita Filter Pitcher.

The ones sold for dorms hold enough water for about two water bottles before you have to fill it up again. The worst is running late for class and realizing that the pitcher is out of water. Then, you have to fill it up and wait for the filtered water to trickle out. It's simply much easier to get a case of bottled water.

4. Keurig.

If you're like me, the walk to Starbucks and Dunkin was less than 10 minutes, and it tasted much better than what I was brewing myself. It takes up a lot of useful space. If you like hot coffee and you drink a cup every morning, go for it. If you drink coffee on occasion, save the money for Starbs and leave the Keurig on the shelf.

5. Printer.

I had a printer, thinking I'd use it. I never printed more than about 20 pages, and it just collected dust. Professors nowadays have everything online, and papers are even turned in online. If a handout is needed, professors will print them, or just walk to the library and spend 5 cents.

6. Overly excessive amount of towels, sheets, etc.

More than two towels and an extra pair of sheets is not needed. They will just sit there, and you will end up using the same towel, washing it, then hanging back on the rack again.

7. Excessive clothes.

Don't bring a ton of clothes, thinking that you will wear them and expand your outfit choices. Trust me, you will still wear the same 6 shirts, and maybe even wear your PJ's to class every now and then. #college

8. TV.

I had a TV and Apple TV, but I was more likely to use my computer for Netflix. I didn't want to bother my roommate, so I only turned on the TV for the Bachelor every Monday.

9. More than one purse.

I personally hate carrying purses, so I only brought one. If you do, go ahead. But, realize that they take up space.

10. Ten billion refillable water bottles.

They collect dust, sit there, and you will probably end up reusing the same one over and over.

11. More than, like, 5 T-shirts.

I brought at least 15, and still ended up wear the same 5. I also received A LOT of free shirts. I especially recommend to leave all the high school ones at home!

12. Shoe organizer.

I tried to keep my shoes organized, but I just ended up throwing them into a box in my closet.

13. Sweeper/vacuum.

Many of the small ones that are sold, really don't pick up anything. You can more than likely rent lot better ones at the desk.

14. A whole luggage set.

They take up a lot of extra under-bed storage, and I ended up putting my stuff in book bags and duffel bags. I sometimes even just used garbage bags.

15. Small knick-knacks/decor.

They just collect a ton of dust. If they don't have a big significance to you, leave them at home.

16. Excessive coats in the summer, and shorts in the winter.

If you go to school in a place that has a changing climate, only bring summer clothes in the summer months, and winter clothes in the winter. Take the shorts home during fall break and bring back the coats.

17. Dress/business clothes.

Unless you are going through recruitment, are in a Greek organization, or in another activity where you will be wearing a lot of business clothes, leave them at home. You'll be wearing more sweats than slacks.