6 things I wish I knew Before My Senior Year Of College

If you thought senior year was going to be like "High School Musical 3", raise your hand... and know that you're lying to yourself and you need to snap back to reality.

276
Youtube

Senior year is a tough one, not gonna lie. It has me on this emotional rollercoaster with my own personal goals and with what society wants from me. If you thought senior year was going to be like "High School Musical 3", raise your hand... and know that you're lying to yourself and you need to snap back to reality.

There were many times where I've felt like a speck of dust floating in the air, not really sure where to go, what to do, or if the speck of dust wants to do anything at all. Not trying to depress you all, but just trying to inform and encourage you all to not give up!

Although it's stressful, it's also fun and an exciting time in your life. I wish I had someone who told me (at least to my face) how off-balance senior year of college was going to be, but no worries. I've learned a few things here and there. And now, I am here for you. These are the six things I wish I knew before my senior year of college

1. Taking a gap year is NOT a bad thing.

It seems as though society is forcing you to go straight to grad school after college or get a full-time job. There's no time to rest or figure out what you want to do. You have to know it, or you'll be behind and "feel behind". It also doesn't help when you go to social media and all you see is, "Got my first big girl job" or "Look who got accepted to blank university!".

Know this, taking a gap year to rest, earn and save money, travel, figure out your life, basically whatever you want to do, is not always a bad thing. Why rush into adulthood when you haven't even figured out what you want for yourself? Take a year to breathe, then start again.

2. Everything takes time, be patient.

You probably hear this line all the time from your parents, your mentor, your advisor, an administrator, or your professor. As much as I hate to admit it, they're right. Everything does take time. Don't rush into things just because you need security or because you demand it at this second. Sometimes being patient goes a long way. By being patient, better things and opportunities will come along and that'll be your chance to reach for the stars and achieve your goal.

3. Take naps.

Oh my lanta, please take naps! Naps are so important! I'm not talking about one to four hours naps, no! Those honestly make you more tired. Taking a nap for ten minutes, 30 minutes, or even an hour can actually be beneficial. I feel like when I'm tired, which is every day, I'm always dreading life.

Naps are supposed to make you rejuvenated and feel like you can accomplish what you need to for the day. A piece of advice though on naps: don't take them late at night. Taking naps during the day will be most helpful when it comes to giving your body that extra spark it needs to continue the day.

4. It doesn’t get easier, but it’s worth it.

Everyone says, "your senior year of college is going to be so easy". Right? Nope. Wrong! It feels like my senior year of college is much harder because I have to pass my classes in order to graduate and I have to figure out some plan (even if it's a gap year) for post-grad life. That's like adding another class itself.

You still have to make more connections, probably more than all three years combined, and on top of that, continue to breathe, eat, drink, and sleep. And what's a social life? Everything gets jumbled into a huge gigantic ball and sometimes you just don't know what to do but have a breakdown in the middle of the sidewalk. Know that it doesn't get easier from here, which isn't really helpful, but trust me when I say it's worth it. All your hard work and effort will pay off. Your life and your passions are worth it.

5. People are dumb, but they prep you for what life is like outside of college.

Yassss people are dumb! Quote me again, "Yassss people are dumb!". This is the year where I figured out how petty and immature people are. I mean, I always knew, but I never thought it would surface. As much as you want to avoid drama and issues, sometimes drama and issues prep you for life outside of college.

College is basically a world in itself and represents what the real world is actually like. I am thankful that some people cause drama in my life because then it teaches me resiliency, patience, love for myself, and love for those who are present in my life. Life goes on.

6. Work hard, play hard, sleep

Lastly, work hard, play hard, and sleep is basically my senior year. Nuff said.

Goodluck to you all who are finishing your senior year of college! Wishing everyone the best 2017/2018 academic school year (and life as a whole).