10 Things Rhode Island Natives Do That Out-of-Staters Don't Understand

"I'm looking for the water fountain." "You mean the bubbler?"

32
Facebook

At the University of Rhode Island 57% of students are Rhode Islanders and 43% are out-of-state students (Tour Guide facts, you're welcome ;)). As a Jersey girl who honestly had never even been to the state before coming here for college, there were just a few things I was or I should say still don't understand about this state.

1. It takes approximately 45 minutes to get through the whole state, but people from RI say that driving more than 15 minutes is a day trip.

I will never understand this. If i'm going 15 minutes away from my house that is considered going "down the street" not a day trip. Someone once told me that if their family was planning on driving 25 minutes away they would pack a bag, bring a few snacks, and most likely book a hotel because the drive is so far.

I used to think I was lazy, but RI natives have definitely got me beat.

2. They call a water fountain a "bubbler"

A bubbler...the place that I get water to drink has always been called a water fountain as far as I'm concerned. The water fountain doesn't bubble it just pours our water when you turn it on kinda like what a big fountain does!

3. People don't use their blinkers.

The amount of times I've seen people just stop and break to make a turn shocks me. Like my dude, we are not trying to get into accident I just need to see your blinker.

4. They think they have the "best" pizza and bagels

All my homies who live in NJ and NY area can profess to why this is just too funny.

5. They will get iced coffee or let alone any iced drink from Dunkin even if it's -2 degrees out.

And let's not forget that they'll use a hot cup to hold it.

6. If you get Del's you must eat it with your mouth spoons are not your friend.

No words for this one, just feels uncomfortable cause it goes everywhere.

7. This is just all of New England apparently, but something is not really cool it's "wicked cool"

Last time I checked Wicked was a broadway performance.

8. It's the flattest state in the country, but URI is on a hill.

And is by far the biggest struggle no matter what the temperature may look like

9. The weather is unpredictable

It can go from snowing to rain to partly cloudy skies in a matter of minutes, but hey at least you get almost all seasons!

10. Everyone loves calzones.

Calzones must be God's gift to this state, because no matter what day it is or how late it may be calzones are a Rhode Islander must.