Things Out-Of-State Students Know All Too Well

You wouldn't have it any other way.

16

Being an out-of-state student at a state school is a vastly different experience than being an in-state student at a state school. It can be difficult at first, but in the end, you wouldn't trade your experience for the world. Here is a list of 12 things out-of-state students know all too well:

1. People question why you’re there.

"Why don't you go to a school in your home state?" is a question out-of-state students hear too often. Maybe you're tired of being there. Perhaps the out-of-state school has a better program for your field of study. You might just be looking for a change.

2. People asking how much your tuition costs.

This is usually a follow-up question to the previous one. Out-of state students seem to be at a disadvantage when it comes to financial aid and out-of-state tuition costs more than in-state tuition. In the end, the answer to the question is none of anyone's business except for who is paying the tuition.

3. People automatically assuming that you’re from where everyone else is from and that you know everything about that place.

Sometimes, students from a particular geographic area saturate the student body. No, I'm not from Long Island. No, I don't know that town.

4. Having an accent.

You may realize that you have an accent!

5. Having to register for an absentee ballot.

Based on my experience, this is an absolute nightmare. The process is long and frustrating.

6. Not being able to go home during breaks as often as everyone else.

Being a long way from home, you can't just head home for the weekend. You often find yourself alone at school during breaks.

7. The long hauls to and from school.

You might take a plane, a train or drive a long way. Regardless of how you get there, you know it takes forever, and that it's not fun when the weather takes a turn for the worst on a travel day.

8. You don't know anybody at first.

Chances are, you're one of only a few people from your state to attend your out-of-state school. Maybe you're even the only one from your state! You have to be social (*gasp!*) and make new friends! You really enjoy the fact that you're not living in “high school: the sequel,” though. Your state schools are filled with students from your high school, and some of them you'd rather not see. So, it can be a really great experience getting a fresh start.

9. You don't live close to your friends during the summer.

Most of your college friends are in-state students. You rarely, if at all, see them during the summer. Being reunited on move-in day is always something to look forward to!

10. You roommate is your first friend aside from orientation.

You make your first friends at orientation, but your roommate likely became your first friend at school. You are with them practically all the time, at least at first, since they probably know a lot more people than you, and you need to make friends so you're not alone. If you get a good roommate, you might even become best friends!

11. Adjusting to the climate.

Your school's climate may be drastically different from what you're used to. Winters may be harsh, or it might feel like summer year round! The climate may take some getting used to.

12. Learning local slang.

There may be some local terms that you aren't used to hearing! Likewise, you may use some terms that confuse everybody! You have to adjust to the new lingo.

13. Adjusting to the sports culture.

The sports culture may be different than where you're from. Your friends may be super into rodeos, surfing, or hockey. Learning about and supporting the popular local sports and sports teams is super important in order to integrate with the rest of the student body!

14. You are truly independent.

Being an out-of state student, you gain more life skills than most other students. You can't rely on mom or dad for anything since they live hundreds of miles away. You have to do everything on your own, and navigate the world of college without any help. In the end, you really like the freedom attending an out-of-state school gives you, and you would never trade it for an in-state experience.