What is our generation missing?

10 Things That Cannot Be Lost Among Our Generation

We are changing the world, but don't let it change us.

79
Ashley Dickerson

As the world modernizes and technology becomes more and more apparent, we are beginning to lose sight of things that should not be lost. Kids are growing up playing on iPads instead of playing outside. Of course, we will never be oblivious to change, but here are some things I think are important to make sure don't become things of the past.

1. Reading books

And I mean physical books, not eReaders. Our generation is way too caught up in technology and I hear "Oh, I don't read," way too often now. Books are a way to get lost in a fictional story, an escape from reality. It is important to make time to read the way our generation can make times for much less important things.

2. Going/being asked on actual dates

Netflix in bed is not a date. Yes, any quality time with your significant other is important, but I'm talking actual DATES. Like come pick me up, ring my doorbell with flowers in your hand, open the car door for me, and let's go on an old-fashioned dinner date. Instead of saying "I'll do whatever you want to do," plan dates with/for your significant other and ask them, not over text, to go with you.

3. Writing letters

Call me crazy, but I love receiving/sending letters. I think it is such a cool and personal way to communicate. We are way too caught up in the world of social media and text to communicate with each other, but letters are so fun to send and receive. Letters from your significant other are so romantic too. Let's get back into sending letters to each other rather than long texts.

4. Having emotions

This generation tries way too hard to be numb. It is not cool to "not have feelings!!" Feelings are so important and need to be felt for us to grow as people and grow together. It is okay to be angry and it is okay to tell someone when you are angry. Stop hiding your emotions to look hard. You are playing a dangerous game

5. Nights in with friends

Maybe it's just because I'm in college right now, but it seems to me that people are no longer really satisfied with just hanging out at home with your friends. You don't need to go to a bar or some crowded frat party to have a good time. In fact, having a chill night at home can be a lot nicer than going out just to be surrounded by drunk strangers.

6. Loving yourself before loving someone else

It seems like no one is satisfied with being single. During the Christmas season, all you see on social media are people complaining that they don't have someone to go on winter dates with. But it is okay to be single. We as a generation are too quick to jump into relationships and trying to force them to be serious before we even know who we are as individuals. It may sound cheesy, but you truly can't love someone else until you love yourself. Save yourself the heartache and let yourself grow and learn before you decide to try a serious relationship.

7. Face-to-face interactions

I'll admit, it is way more convenient to interact through our cell phones. Sometimes I even feel safer interacting through my phone rather than in person. But it is still very important to interact with people in the real world. You won't make the best memories of your life through the phone. Not to mention, it has become a bad habit for us to confront people on social media, or through text. We need to learn how to face our problems head on again and fix them with only those involved and in person. It is much harder to misread a situation in person than through text.

8. Working hard to earn something

We are a generation that has become accustomed to hand outs. It may make life easier for you, but hand outs won't do you any favors in the long run. If you bust your butt for something, it makes it so much more satisfying once you get it. Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

9. Stopping to smell the roses

We all lead very busy lives. We have jobs, school, families, and sleep schedules to maintain. It's always "go, go, go!" We need to take time to stop and just take in everything the world has to offer. Sit outside and just listen to the birds. Appreciate the world around you instead of letting it get lost in the hustle and bustle of your busy lives.

10. Kindness

Lately, we as the human race have been more divided than ever. It is us against them. We need to end that mindset The world is becoming scarier and more cruel each day. Let's not be the generation that doesn't know how to put aside our differences to be kind to one another.

As you grow, have children of your own, and watch them grow, let's encourage these things to help make sure they will never be lost. A world without these 10 things is not a world I want to live in, so let's put down our technology and take a break from our busy lives to read a book, give a hug, or appreciate our world we live in. You only get one chance.