10 Things All Northern Transplants In Southern Schools Understand

There are Waffle Houses every other mile.

551

I'm an out of state student with lots of home state pride. I come from the multi-seasonal, always traffic packed, Wawa saturated state of New Jersey. When I moved down south for college I came from White Christmases to 80 degree weather in December. To say it was an adjustment would be an understatement. If you're a northerner student who moved to the south I'm sure you can relate to coming to these 10 realizations about the south…

1. There are Waffle Houses every other mile.

There's nothing like late night waffles and hearing someone yell your order across the restaurant!

2. Publix is a thing.

Pub Subs are one thing you can't get in the northeast!

3. Shopping carts are buggys?

When I first went shopping with my Floridian roommates I was quickly informed that the baskets you push through the grocery store aisles are in fact buggys, not shopping carts.

4. Liquor is sold in grocery stores.

I'm still thrown off whenever I'm food shopping and I see the liquor aisles.

5. The bigger the t-shirt the better.

As a petite 90lb. girl oversized t-shirts were very easy to come by but not easy to pull off. The southern way of styling these oversized tee's is with a pair of Nike shorts or leggings. While attempting to achieve the look I realized I was extremely comfy but I also looked like a marshmallow… but comfort over anything else, am I right?

6. Christmas lights on palm trees

Southerners will put Christmas lights around the trunks of palm trees and act like it's acceptable Christmas decor. My response? No it is not. Nothing can replace true Christmas trees for me.

7. Saying 'y'all' instead of 'you guys'

As a Jersey girl never have I ever used to term, "y'all"... until this year. Living in the south I've definitely picked up the slang.

8. Your "northern accent"

Although I've picked up some southern slang I can't quite get by as a southerner. People often comment on my northern accent… that I didn't know existed until now.

9. Coming home and freezing when it's 65 degrees

Anything under 75 degrees might as well be the arctic at this point.

10. People holding the door and smiling at you

Southern hospitality is a thing and it's not something I'm used to, but I'm 100% a fan!

I've had some adjusting to do living life in the south but trading cold northern winters for prime weather, friendly southerners and Waffle House is something I could get used to!