The 6 Things I Miss Most About Mexico

The 6 Things I Miss Most About Mexico

Or the one time I allowed myself to be homesick.

31
http://poster.keepcalmandposters.com

Ever since I was a little kid I've been immune to homesickness. I've seen so many small children cry whenever they have to spend the night in someone else's house because they miss their parents, but my mom is always telling me that when I was younger I just couldn't wait to sleep over somewhere different. I've always been a little adventurer, and I love it.

That is why moving 2,606 mi away from home didn't seem scary, or even make me worrisome. Other than excitement (and stress at having to fit all my belongings in a suitcase), I didn't feel anything else. I got on the plane by myself and I didn't look back, I didn't cry. I just readied myself for a few uncomfortable hours in an enclosed space and awaited my next adventure.

Now, don't get me wrong. Of course I miss my friends and family, I'm not that cold. I have just always been able to put my feelings aside and do what needs to be done, what I want to do. And what I had always dreamed of doing was studying abroad. I was not going to let homesickness get to me, until it did. The thing that finally broke me was my three-year-old niece calling me on the phone and complaining about the fact I haven't visited her. Well, if that wouldn't bring tears to your eyes I say you are not human.

So, instead of throwing myself a pity party, I'm going to list six things I miss about Mexico, and that I think I should celebrate more.

1. The food.

A little pro tip for you, my friend: if a person tells you they are Mexican, the immediate next phrase should never be "Let's go to Chipotle!" Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure Chipotle and other Tex Mex restaurants have great food, but when you call it "authentic" you are just making a huge mistake.

Also, I've been in this country for a month and I still can't believe Taco Tuesday is a thing.

2. People saying Good Morning/Evening/Hello.

There are many things that throw me off in the United States, but this one is probably the biggest one. When I cross people on pathways or when they enter a room I'm in, no one says "good morning." In Mexico I was taught you should always greet everyone in the room as soon as you walk in, it's just common curtesy you guys.

Here in the US though, I often just get a nod (that I try to return awkwardly) and a "how's it going?" Now, I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person, but to this day I still don't know if I am actually supposed to reply something at that question.

3. Hugs.

Now, there are some exceptions to this rule and I will accept this, some of my friends from the United States are really into hugs and I really appreciate that. But something I really miss from my country and the rest of Latin America is the hugs.

I'm used to giving a hug and a kiss in the cheek to a person the second we meet, and even when I am not a big touchy feely person I'm very bummed every time I step forward to kiss someone's cheek or give them a hug and they shoot me a panicked look.

4. Colors (houses).

Honestly, why are all your houses the same color?

5. Music.

I really miss going into a restaurant and seeing a group of Mariachis in there, I may have underestimated live music when I was in Mexico and for that I'm very sorry.

6. The food!

I just really miss it, and what's up with your breakfast, US?!

How people can get used to having the same thing for breakfast every day baffles me. I was never a big fan of breakfast before, but now I am having all the regrets.

With all that being said, I'm more than positive that I made the right choice by deciding to study abroad. Not only have I met amazing people and I love my school, but the distance sure does make the heart grow fonder.

Happy belated birthday, dearest Mexico! ¡Nos vemos pronto!