Things I Miss About My Childhood

Things I Miss About My Childhood

I never thought I'd be missing it.
18

When I was a kid, I always counted the years and wondered what it was like to be a grown-up. Then the time came, and it was nothing like I expected. I never thought boys would like girls and vice versa. Or that I would like someone, and fall in love. I never thought I would experience heartbreak. I never thought there would be so many expectations, like learning to drive, going to college or getting a job. And all this time I wanted it to come so quickly.

Now that I am a young adult, I miss being just a kid. As a kid you could just be happy and let your light shine. You could run and go out and explore the world around you. You could be you without letting the words of society affect you. It was a good time.

Here are some of the things I miss about my childhood.

• I miss being the happy-go-lucky kid: I miss being the kid so full of happiness. With the ups and downs of life, the light in someone flickers. Now sometimes I am happy and sometimes I am not.
  • I miss just playing around and having recess: As kids, we could just play around after school. We did not have to worry too much about a lot of deadlines and so much work.
  • I miss creating things with construction paper and coloring in books.
  • I miss not worrying about a lot of things: I used to worry less because I had less responsibilities.
  • I miss making sand castles at the beach.
  • I miss making a mess with food and learning how to clean up.
  • I miss having wild ideas and creations that seemed unrealistic (i.e. “I’m going to learn to fly in the sky).
  • I miss just believing in myself, and having no doubts in my mind.

Do not take this the wrong way, I love being a young adult. But every now and then I miss that little part of me—being a child. I watch children play and have smiles on their faces and it makes me happy because it reminds me of my childhood.

On the bright side, I have learned and decided to cherish the memories of my childhood, and to not always be too serious. Remember to laugh and play a little, so that some of the memories stay alive. If I could have a conversation with myself as a child, I would have told her, “Stay a kid, we grow up too fast.”