8 Things You Actually Learn Working At Disneyland

Moving away from home is one of the scariest things anyone can do, even if you work somewhere like Disneyland, but it will get better. It always does, it just takes some time.

272
Wikimedia

Often times people ask me why I moved to Los Angeles from Sacramento, especially when they notice me looking lost and when I tell them, “I moved out here to work at Disneyland,” they act like I just murdered someone, and funny enough, it’s always the same response, “Well, why? It’s just Disneyland.” Well, there are many reasons “why”— it might just be Disneyland for you, but for me, it’s so much more than that, it’s my home-away-from-home.

I have spent every summer here since I was 4 years old. I’ve come here 17 years in a row. Every summer between May and August/September, I make it a point to have the time of my life. I would forget about my problems during that time and enjoy myself more than I would anywhere else. I tried to sum up the many things I’ve learned in only a month, and even that is challenging, so these are just a few.

1. “Making magic” is more important than almost any job description

The term “making magic” is used by Cast Members (the employees) in reference to going above and beyond our job description to try and brighten other guests’ day.

It can be anything from saying “happy birthday” to a 7-year-old girl wearing a princess dress, letting a family cut through the FastPass line when it was slow that day, giving stickers to kids for being good or simply just answering guests' questions. Making magic is what makes Disneyland, Disneyland.

2. You’re going to want to quit, and that’s OK

Everyone thinks that working for a place like Disneyland is the most magical thing on Earth, and while it is the “most magical place on Earth,” the job is not. You’re going to work 12-hour shifts, wake up at five to be at work by six in the morning, stay until two or three in the morning.

Don't let that stop you from doing what you need to do. Think about the long-term outcome and about how happy you’re going to be once you put in for a transfer request, get promoted or work Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, finally. It’s just a job, remember that.

3. The costumes are almost all ugly as hell, just strut that stuff, girl

The best and worst part of the job is definitely the costumes (outfits) we have to wear depending on the job we’re doing that day or where we’re placed. You either get to wear shorts and a short sleeve T-shirt or brown pants, a mustard yellow top and some off-green hat, but whatever it is, just know you’re freakin' special.

You get the shiny name tag, the pretty blue ID and get to say you work at Disneyland. How many people can actually say that? (Technically 30,000, but you get my point.)

4. The friendships you make greatly outweigh any of the cons about the job

During Traditions (orientation), they talk about how while working here, you’re going to make lifelong friends and are really going to connect with people. They'll be dealing with the same stuff as you, or simply like you because you’re a frickin’ cool dude.

In my short time working here, I’ve already made a few friends and have learned more about myself and life than I can count. I have had such an enjoyable time, and I’ve only been here for a month. I can’t wait to see where I am five months from now.

5. Never forget where you came from

I think this is the most important, unspoken rule. You might work for Disneyland, but there are going to be people who don’t care, and then there are going to be people who work at Warner Brothers Studios that get paid ten dollars more than you do. Congratulations, you passed the long and strenuous application process, but you haven’t made it anywhere substantial yet, unfortunately.

Don’t have an ego that's bigger than your shoes, no one cares. You work for Disney, it’s a job just like any other. Give it time, and then when you’re the CEO, you can brag a little bit.

6. The traffic is hell, prepare yourself

If you’re working anytime between nine and three, you’ll be completely fine. If you’re not, you better prepare yourself for the mess that is Orange County/LA traffic, even on the main streets. Yeah, the freeways are bad, but leaving the parking lot for Disneyland and designated Cast Member lots can be a traffic jam and a half. Give yourself extra time with plans after or even before work to travel. It’s a mess.

7. I promise you, you’re going to be homesick

I have been back at work from visiting home for a week, and let me tell ya, it was the best decision I probably could have made. I’ve only been here for 30 days, and I was already feeling homesick. Being away from all of my family and friends is by far the hardest part of the move more so than anything else. The money situation is under control, and making new friends is what I’m working on each day, but being away from everyone that I know and love is so challenging.

Unfortunately, with 100 percent certainty, if I didn’t go home when I did, I probably wouldn't have stayed. Now, I know that sounds bad, but I’ve had 13 jobs in the past five years. Yes, that’s crazy, but I don’t like feeling vulnerable or uncomfortable, as most people do not, but going home definitely helped that a lot. If you have an iPhone, FaceTime your friends and family. If you have social media, post on it, and stay up to date. Just do what you know will help you.

8. Live your best life

This is a quote I stole from my friends back at home. It sits really well with me because it’s a constant reminder to enjoy life and do what makes me happy. If you’re not living your best life, you’re not grabbing life by the balls and really using it to your advantage. Take risks, take a job seven hours away from home, do what makes you happy and never forget to live your best life.