19 Things I Learned While Being 19

19 Things I Learned While Being 19

How this year has to greatly changed me...
102

This year for my 20th birthday, I decided I would take a look back on this past year and think about what this year has really taught me not only about myself but about the people around me. And whether it is apparent on this list or not, I am very grateful for everything that this year, in particular, has taught me because I do feel that this past year was the first time I felt that I was really coming into my own.

This year I learned that relationships are so much more work than what people make them out to seem like. But that they are also one of the most beautiful things in life and deserves to be cherished.

I learned that life can be really stressful at times and that knowing different coping mechanisms is incredibly important. But in order to avoid overusing those coping mechanisms, knowing your limits and how much to take on is equally as important in order to be successful.

I learned that in college, your classes and your education are the most important thing to dedicate your time too and that through that process, it is okay to change your mind on what you want to do with your life.

I learned that its okay to give yourself a break sometimes and that crying is just as meaningful as laughing.

I learned that showing someone that you care can be as simple as sending them a thoughtful text and that the friendships that you develop in college are incredibly meaningful and special.

I learned that being a leader is so much more than just being in charge of a group's responsibilities and that it is okay to ask questions when you don't know what to do or how to solve a problem.

I learned that its okay to not be okay sometimes and that working on yourself is just, if not more, important than working on the other relationships in your life.

I learned that you can only help your friends so much and that partying and drinking are not for everyone.

I learned that change is one of the hardest parts of life and that the people around you may not always understand why you do what you do and that's okay.

And finally, I learned that love, when you meet the right person, can change you; transform you in the most magical way to the best version of yourself.