7 things you learn your first semester of college
Education

7 Things You Learn Your First Semester Of College, Hopefully Without Fail

College is a complete roller coaster, but I think we all knew that. Between moving away from home, switching majors, and creating memories, college has been pretty good so far.

120
Dallas Oberlee

College has always been something I've dreamed about. My parents never got to have the "real" college experience; moving away from home, living in a dorm, etc. I knew that college was going to be different for everyone, but for me, I wanted the cliche college experience.

While I am only a freshman, I have learned quite a bit not just about life, but myself as well.

1. You are going to switch your major... a lot.

media.giphy.com

At first, I swore I was going to become a zookeeper. I have been working at my hometown's zoo for a few years now so I thought that it was just meant to be. Besides, who would not want to work with animals? Well I was very wrong about that choice. Turns out, science is not my thing at all (shout out to my boyfriend, though, for being a science wiz and helping me out). While some would rather jump into college knowing exactly what they want to do, it is okay if you do not know yet.

2. Breaks are great and everything, but you still have to do work.

media.giphy.com

While a lot of us freshmen probably thought our breaks were a time to relax and spend time with family, papers and projects were still due that following Monday. Always remember to do your work either before going home or in my case, the night before it is due. Either way, get it done and remember that it is the real deal now, most professors are not going to be chill about "forgetting" to submit your papers.

3. The people you meet now are the ones who are in it for the long run.

media.giphy.com

I met a few nice girls this semester in my English class, including my teacher, and I can truthfully say that I will forever be friends with them. Despite us only having English together, we all became incredibly close - helping each other with papers, talking about boys, our classes, everything, and anything. Thankfully college is not like high school and you do not have to worry about petty drama to tear you apart. We are all grown now and drama is the least of our concerns.

4. It is okay to miss home.

media.giphy.com

As someone who moved seven hours away from home, I realized quickly that it was going to be different. I was not around friends and family anymore and I had to learn to accept that. We all grow up, I guess I failed to realize that when moving up. However, do not feel pressured to call home every single day. It is okay to go days, maybe a week, without talking to your parents. Learn to make a home away from home at college and when you come home, you will have so many great stories to tell everyone...that and leaving for school will not be so hard.

5. Go out and have some fun.

media.giphy.com

I spent quite a long time staying in my dorm instead of going out. There are so many things to do outside of your dorm, that are also free, for you to do. Go on a hike, walk around town, see what events are going on at campus. The possibilities are endless. Besides an adventure, you might make some friends along the way as well.

6. The grades you got in high school might not be the same.

media.giphy.com

Okay, so hopefully you will not fail any classes, but you do not have to get all A's either. College can be hard, especially starting out and still trying to get used to everything. If you got A's in high school, do not stress if you are getting B's. Truthfully, the only thing that matters if you pass, so do not let the stress of getting A's push you down.

7. Live your life.

media.giphy.com

This is your life. Live how you want to live and be the person you want to be. Things do not always go your way but in the end, everything works out. College is the time to find out who you really are and not have anyone tell you otherwise. Make some memories during your time at college. As cringy as it is, you only live once.