Things I Know Now, But Didn't Before

Things I Know Now, But Didn't Before

"You live and learn."

7
Things I Know Now, But Didn't Before
Elliott Caras

You’ll not always feel beautiful, even when you put a bunch of makeup products on your face, but if you just smile, you’ll feel better and beautiful. Everyone has bad days, just don’t make those bad days into bad months or years.

Love your family. Appreciate them. Take photos with your mom if she asks you to; talk about football or old road trips that your dad had when he was your age; play games with your brother, it really makes him happy. They’ll always be there for you. Don’t you forget that.

Love your dogs, or any animal, actually. When you feel sad, play with them. Cuddle with them. They have this power to make you feel better and happier, plus they’ll feel happier too. Believe me.

Read books. A bunch of books! Write down the quotes you don’t want to forget and remember them when you need to. Books will always make you feel relaxed, better and feel like you belong in the story. After all, that girl or that boy in the book seems exactly like you, right?

Write. Write. Write. I don’t think I need to explain this one.

Be kind. Be kind to everyone. You don’t have to like everyone or even pretend you do like them, but just be nice. Sometimes people go through bad moments and I know that’s no excuse for them to be mean, but sometimes a simple smile can make them feel better and realize they’re being stupid. Sometimes they’re just jealous too, so in that case give them your bigger and happiest smile ever.

But don’t be too kind. I mean, sometimes people just want to take advantage of your good heart so don’t let them think they can do whatever they want with you. No is a strong word, use it when you need it. You’re strong and powerful, let them understand that. Don’t let people fool you.

You are unique. You are you. You do you. Stop comparing yourself with others. You are beautiful and amazing and everything good in this world. Don’t let go of what makes you special. Your weird details are the most beautiful thing everyone is lucky enough to see.

If you need to change, change for yourself. Don’t change because someone said something about you and you feel you need to change it. Change because it is something you want and it will make you feel happy. Sometimes a good change is all you need.

You’ll have moments where you will feel tired, stressed out and have the urge to cry. When those moments happen, take time to cry and to realize that you need time to relax. Take time to yourself. I know that important paper you have to deliver the next day or that exam you’ll have is super important but your health is even more of a priority. Take a nap and realize that although everything seems like it’s falling apart, everything will be fine. Don’t give up, little nugget.

You are young. Please don’t waste the only time you have in this world, on your body feeling like you could do more. Go after your dreams and conquer them.

Study harder. Study your butt off. Work harder. Work your butt off. Everything will pay off.

Appreciate your friends. They are like a small part of you. They’ll always make your grey, winter days feel like colorful, spring ones instead.

Laugh. Seriously, it’s proven that laughter can make you age slower and makes you feel super good about yourself. It makes you feel happy. It doesn’t matter if you have a weird laugh or a super loud laugh, just laugh untill your stomach hurts.

Wear whatever you want. Paint your nails whatever color you want. Cut your hair whatever hairstyle you want. Put makeup on if you want to. Do whatever you want that makes you happy.

Don’t put your happiness in someone else's hands. You are the only one who can be trusted with your own happiness.

The future will bring you new and challenging things and I know you are scared but try not to think about it now. Live in the present. Live in the moment. That’s what truly matters right now.

Eat yummy and healthy foods. Drink a lot of water, like really a lot! Do exercise but don’t feel like you need to do it as an obligation. Do all these things because it will make you feel better and more energized. If you feel like eating a box of chocolates or drinking a bottle of coca-cola, please go for it!!! Don’t feel bad about it, babe.

Watch a bunch of movies (horror, romantic, comedy, etc) or television series and relax in your bed eating popcorn because it’s one of the things that can make you appreciate life. And I mean it.

Listen to music. A lot of music. Find new bands and singers. That feeling of finding new music is super grateful and amazing.

Appreciate life. Appreciate everything. You may not have much (and if you have, lucky you!) and the sun might not want to shine as bright as much as the other days but that doesn’t mean that life is not beautiful, because it is and you’re important.

Everything at some point will make sense, believe me.