5 Things I Have Learned In College So Far

Because I'll be leaving college with much more than just a degree.

9

You may have been told that your college years are some of the best and most treasured years of your life, and in some ways, I agree with this statement. I have had some of the best experiences, gone on some of the greatest adventures, and made some of the best friends in my whole life. However, college is not always easy, and I think the most difficult parts of college are the moments where I am able to really grow. Now that I am five weeks away from being done with my third year of college, I have been thinking a lot about how college has changed me. The following things are some things that I have learned in college.

1. Things don't always go as planned.

I have been told before "Don't count your eggs before they are hatched", and I have found this saying is very fitting in life. I don't know about you but I'm a very Type A person, especially when it comes to plans. Lots of times I have made plans, and it didn't work out as I wanted. Then later I realize that things worked out perfectly in the end. One example of this was that I didn't get into a UGA internship program that I wanted, and I was so worried that I wasn't going to get a summer internship. However, now I have summer plans and two internships lined up for the summer, as well as a summer job, so I am thankful that things worked out the way they did.

2. Doing things that scares you helps you to grow.

Before my first year at UGA, I was terrified. I worried endlessly about everything. I worried about getting lost on UGA's big campus. I worried about making friends. I stayed up late worrying about my classes and stuff, but then I got used to the workload, and it didn't seem as hard to me (most of the time).

3. Try new things.

I went into college not wanting to try certain things because I was scared. I was afraid to join a sorority because I was worried I wouldn't fit in, but then I found that the sorority I joined was full of sweet, nice girls. I was nervous about getting my first job, and even though I hated it (it was at a dining hall on campus), I am glad that I got the experience. Also, as a runner, I always wanted to run a marathon, and even though I was scared, I signed up for my first marathon last year. My friends and I were able to finish the 26.2 long stretch, and even though it was difficult and I felt like my legs were going to fall off my body, I am glad I did it. Trying new things, I have found, usually has good rewards.

4. The people you meet in college can be your friends for life.

Some of the people I have become friends with in college have become some of my best friends. I already can see some of these people being part of my wedding as bridesmaids. The friendships you make in college become a second family, and they are very valuable and should be treasured.

5. Take advantage of all that college has to offer.

Go to the school's gym. Go to the school functions. Use the dining hall. Go to the health center, when you need to. The University of Georgia provides its students with so many different services, and I am sad that I won't get these resources so easily once I graduate college.