Things Everyone Misses About College

15 Things I Miss About BGSU During The Summer More Than I Thought I Would

Who would've thought anyone would miss sharing a room?

138

Now that I've been on summer break for a little over a month, I have begun realizing the things I miss the most from this past year. Thankfully, I haven't had much time to dwell on this sadness, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

When you're at school, all you want is summer break to be here. And you tell yourself you won't miss this or that, but in reality, you do miss this and that. Here are the fifteen things I miss the most from college.

1. My friends

I knew I would miss my friends the first day of summer, and that has held true thus far. I FaceTime with my best friend every day and keep up my Snap streaks with them all, but it still isn't the same as seeing them every day.

2. A set schedule

With classes at the same time every week, it was very easy to make time for meal breaks and gym workouts. Now, with varying work schedules and different things happening each week, it's hard to make time for hanging out with friends and going to the gym.

3. Campus food

When you have a rotation of the same five meals from the dining halls or union food, it tends to get old fast. But sometimes you just crave a good plate of mac and cheese or spinach wrap at your respective college campuses.

4. Free gym pass

Since I am no longer on my parent's gym membership, I had to buy one for the summer. And it takes a lot more to motivate me to work out now than it did during the school year. The heat sure doesn't help with that either.

5. Wii and movie nights

I miss having Friday night bonding time. My roommates and I usually watched a movie, but we also played the Wii and other various board games that kept us entertained. A tradition I hope to continue into this new school year.

6. Laundry parties

In addition to movie nights, we all would do our laundry on Friday nights, too. We would pause the movie when our clothes were done and run down to the laundry room to switch it and again when it was finished. We were being productive while having fun.

7. Sporting events

My roommates and I loved going to whatever sports team was playing that weekend. It was mostly hockey, but we went to other games, too. We would bond over our love of the sport and the cute players.

8. Sharing a room

At my home, I have the luxury of not having to share a room. But when you get used to having a roommate for nine months, it gets lonely living by yourself. It was definitely a perk if your roommate was your best friend, too.

9. Getting Starbucks

Now, I know I can get Starbucks whenever I want here at home. I have at least three locations within ten minutes. But at school, with a meal plan, it was like I was getting "free" Starbucks. How can I go from that to actually paying for a Venti Strawberry Acai refresher? I don't think so.

10. No parental interference

I love being home and getting to spend my days off with my family, but sometimes it's nice to be two hours away from them. No one telling me what to do and no one breathing down my neck to do this or that. It was a glance into the future of adulthood.

11. Taking naps

I don't have time to take naps now. In college, I took a nap a day and it was amazing. Naps fix everything. Now, I can only think about napping because I am unable to take them.

12. Participating in sorority events

I miss spending time with my sorority sisters and attending our fun sisterhood and service events. Sometimes you miss making crafts and getting to know your "sisters."

13. Staying up late

During school, I could stay up to two in the morning no problem. Whether I was doing homework or talking with my roommate, we would stay up super late. Now, if I don't go to bed by midnight, I feel like I'm going to die.

14. Spontaneous road trips

I got to visit a few of my friends' houses over the course of last semester, and it was so much fun. I love taking road trips, and road trips with friends are the best things ever.

15. Walking through campus

I know it's cliché, but my school's campus is gorgeous. I love to just take walks through the heart of campus and get to see everyone out and enjoying the nice weather. It makes me feel like I'm a part of something big and it feels awesome.