Things You Hear When You Have A Resting Bitch Face

It gets really old really fast.
Mary Rom
Mary Rom
53

I am the one of the many people who “suffer” from RBF (resting bitch face). I’m not really sure how I obtained it, all I know is I get questioned about it all the time. For me, I don’t feel as if I’m scowling or making a mean face, my face just likes to relax most of the time, and that’s what happened when it does. Half the time, I don't even realize when it’s happening. Here are some things I hear on a daily basis because of my RBF.

Are you okay? You look confused? Are you tired? You look tired.

When you have RBF you get asked questions like this ALL of the time. Usually, being asked these questions makes you one or many of the things that the person asked. Yes, I’m okay. No I’m not confused. Chances are when you ask me if I’m tired signs are going to point to yes. Isn’t everyone that goes to college tired regardless of whether or not they’re smiling 100% of the time? Relax, fam. It’s just my face.

You should smile more, you have such a nice smile.

Thank you for the compliment, but isn’t smiling usually supposed to come naturally? Not everyone feels like smiling 100 percent of the time, 24/7. My face is relaxing. If we’re in conversation, of course, I’m going to smile at you, especially if someone is smiling back. Most of the time if someone is smiling at me, it’s very hard for me to keep a serious face.

Aren’t you afraid that people won’t like you because you look mean?

Nope. Anyone that knows me, knows that when I’m being genuine I’m anything but mean. I’m sarcastic 95 percent of the time, but depending how you use it, sarcasm isn't generally considered mean. And not to sound harsh, but when I was younger, I used to care A LOT about what others thought of me. But now, it’s always nice to be liked, but if people don't like me then it’s OK.

These are just some of the things I hear on a daily basis...