10 Things To Do Over Break To Prepare For Next Semester

Of course, taking a break is important, but getting these things done will make next semester much easier!

818
Static Pexels

The end of the Fall semester is always difficult, you are torn between completing all your projects, studying for exams, and writing papers when all you want to do is sit back, relax, and eat Christmas cookies. So once the semester ends, give yourself a few days or a week to relax, because we all definitely deserve it. However, Winter break is also a great time to prepare for the following semester. Here are ten things you should attempt to accomplish before the Spring semester starts up:

1. Figure Out What Textbooks You'll Need

Even if you do not plan to buy them for the first day, try to figure out what you need and decide what format you would like to buy of it so you have an outline you can pull from when the semester starts. My tip is find the seller you wish to buy it from online and put the name of the book, for what class, and the link to purchase in a table on a Google doc. It's easier than you think and is a great way to organize it.

2. Update Your Resume

Chances are you did something this semester or fairly recently that should be added to your resume. Did you get any specific certifications? Did you do an internship? Did you volunteer? All of these and an updated GPA are important things to add to your resume. I would also recommend reaching out to your school's career development center and ask them to review it with you.

3. Apply for Internships

Let's face it, NO ONE likes doing this. It makes me dry heave thinking of all the times I have been required to put my old employer's address and phone number on an application even though I have it on my resume and submitted it to the company I am applying to. However, if you can make it a goal to apply to 10-15 over break with quality work and cover letters then you should be in a good place to find a job. Just remember to be realistic with the positions you apply for.

4. Put Everything You Have Down in Your Planner

Put your class name, location, and time down in your planner for the whole semester. That way when you go to make appointments you can see when you are available and when you are not to avoid double booking. You can also add your work schedule in there and extracurriculars. The more of this you get done before school starts the better. I also recommend adding your assignments to the planner once you get your syllabus.

5. Make a Rough Schedule of When You Plan to Squeeze in Studying and Homework

Obviously it is hard to determine exactly when you are going to have the energy to do homework and study, but if you lay out a few hours a week when you plan to study consistently, it will make it an easier habit to form.

6. Buy New Notebooks

Don't be that student who just rips notes out of a notebook from last semester. You'll most likely end up having to buy a second notebook towards the middle of the class and then you'll have to keep track of two notebooks for one class. Notebooks are literally less than a dollar at walmart, it is worth the money.

7. Check Blackboard/ Email Periodically for Syllabus

Some professors will email or post the syllabus on BlackBoard before the class even starts. If they get this to you early, it is likely because they expect you to get a head start on it. This will also help with organizing your planner. If the professor expects a response, it's best to start on the right foot and respond to them before the semester starts. This makes you look like a conscientious student and will likely earn you brownie points before your first lecture even starts!

8. Connect with Friends

All seriousness aside, make sure to make time for friends at home who you do not see much during the semester. They probably miss you just as much as you miss them and maintaining good relationships is important to human happiness!

9. Make or Improve Your LinkedIn and Clean Up Your Other Social Media

If you do not have a LinkedIn yet you should make one! Even if you are not a business student, it helps you stand out and look professional! Even if you have one, there is always room for improvement. Add some qualities and get them endorsed, update your photo to be more professional, and etc.! It is also important that you look back through all old social media posts and take anything out you would be embarrassed to have a hiring manager see. It may be on the internet forever but it will be harder to find, and will show that you at least understand it is not okay. Try to avoid posting things of that nature in the future as well.

10. Take a Break!

It is a break right? So relax. Enjoy your family, take a bubble bath, put on a clay mask, paint your toes, read a fun book, binge watch some Netflix, and pet your dogs and cats. Just remember to stay somewhat productive and work on the other nine things!