13 Things Every Book Lover Understands

13 Things Every Book Lover Understands

It's a brand new world within every page.

96
13 Things Every Book Lover Understands
zumadrian.com

Anyone who is an avid reader knows there is nothing that can compare to getting lost in a book. Each word brings you into a brand new world full of the greatest adventures, love, and drama. Books can open up a person's mind and really change a life. There are 13 things that all book lovers understand:

1. Having to choose between sleep and books.

This can be one of the hardest parts of falling in love with a new book. You begin to read the first chapter at noon and then suddenly you glance out your window and it's dark out. Your roommate is already asleep and the numbers on the clock read 1 am. You can feel your body aching for rest, but your mind races, wondering what's going to happen in the next chapter. You know you have to wake up early for that class in the morning, but one more chapter can't hurt. That is until one chapter turns into ten more.

2. The endless struggle of homework versus books.

Similar to number one, but possibly more dangerous, deciding between finishing your new novel and finishing that ten-page essay can be tricky.

3. People assuming you ace all your classes.

"Oh, well this reading assignment will fly by for you" or "What do you mean you didn't read the book? You love to read!" Just because I read for fun, doesn't necessarily mean that I want to read every single thing that I come across. Sure, I've read some amazing school assigned books; such as The Great Gatsby, To Kill A Mockingbird, Looking For Alaska, etc. However, reading three chapters from my science textbook or Walden by Henry David Thoreau is not especially thrilling. Sometimes I'm too caught up in reading my own choice of book to focus on the assigned reading.

4. Getting jealous over a book.

Recommending books to a friend can be great. It gives you both something to talk about and fangirl over. However, when a book becomes incredibly popular and everybody starts to talk about, a strange feeling of jealousy takes you over and you begin to wish you were the only one to know about the book, once again. How dare those people go on about how great the book is when you told them over a year ago to read it and they didn't listen.

5. Choosing the perfect cast for characters.

When reading a book, you usually use your imagination to come up with a face for the characters. Sometimes, you think one celebrity would be perfect as a certain character and you keep your fingers crossed that the book will become a movie and the celebrity you loved will be cast as the character you had in mind. And if it is announced that it will indeed become a movie, then waiting for the cast to be announced is nerve wracking.

6. Being oblivious to the rest of the world.

Someone will have to call your name ten times and possibly rip the book out of your hands if they want your attention. Then they have to deal with the attitude you give them for interrupting your reading.

7. Becoming emotional over a fictional life.

All book lovers have found themselves at least once sobbing over a book. Whether the two characters you shipped fell in love or your favorite character died in a tragic accident, many books have a way of tugging at your heartstrings and can cause your emotions to go completely out of control. However, you have also found yourself angry at the characters for being stupid or irrational.

8. Preferring paper over e-books.

There's nothing that can compare to the touch and smell of a paperback book. E-books may work for textbooks or magazines, but there is something about not being able to feel the pages under your fingertips that just doesn't work.

9. Wishing a book wouldn't end.

Most times, you flip through a book so quickly because you're so anxious to find out what happens next. However, sometimes a book can be so good and so special that you are afraid to stop reading it. You don't want to reach the end of the book. You wish it could go on and on forever and then you become worried that the ending will be terrible and ruin the rest of the book for you. So, you have to take long, torturous breaks in between a couple chapters in order to keep yourself from finishing it.

10. The joy of falling in love with a new book.

Reading an amazing new book can make even the worst day better. When people ask you why you're in such a good mood, they seem weirded out when you tell them it's because you just started a brand new book.

11. That feeling when a book doesn't live up to its hype.

There are many times that a book has become famous and everybody seems to have fallen in love with it. Celebrities tweet about it, your friends tell you that it's literally amazing, and even your brother started to take an interest in it. So, you become really excited about the idea of reading a brand new book that is supposedly the next Great Gatsby. It starts off slow and you just assume it'll get better as it goes on, but you soon find that it really isn't that great. At all. You don't understand why everyone is obsessing over such a poorly written story. Oh well, onto the next book.

12. A night in can be best.

Going out with your friends and having a good time can be fun. But you know what makes for a great time? Spending the night curled up in blankets with a great book. Whether it be an old favorite, a classic, or a new novel to keep your mind occupied- a night in with a book is the best night. Except for a night spent browsing the shelves at Barnes and Noble.

13. A book completely changing your life.

Every once in a while, you come across a book that can completely change your life. You don't expect it when you first start reading it, but when you finish the last chapter, you have to sit in silence for a few minutes while you think about what happened in this book and the impact it had on you.