21 Things You HAVE To Know Before Studying Abroad

Better to be prepared than sorry

35
Lauren Lanna

Spain has been one of the few things I've been posting about nonstop for the last few weeks, and it was an AMAZING experience.

I had the time of my life getting to know new people, and getting to explore this brand new country! There was so much to see and do, and so much I wish I could share with everyone I've ever met.

I know I can't do that, but there were some things I wish I had known before going abroad, and somethings I learned along the way.

1. Bring more underwear

Trust me, you're going to thank me for this one, especially if you aren't sure what your laundry situation will be. Bring more socks too.

2. Pack light

Even though you should bring things to be prepared for all weather, don't overpack because you don't want to get charged for those overages on your airlines. People won't care, nor will they notice if you're re-wearing clothes, as long as they aren't dirty or smelly. Also, if you have to choose, bring more shirts than shorts.

3. Bring more money

If you're going to Spain, or Europe, plan to pay for bathrooms and water, because these aren't usually free. Also, budget well and plan to spend more than your budget because there's always things you can't account for.

4. Clear your phone space

If you're looking for an excuse to get rid of those old messages photos or apps that you haven't looked at in years, take your study abroad experience as an opportunity to do it now! You're going to want as much space as possible to take photos and download useful apps while abroad!

5. Bring a blanket

Even if its a tiny one, you never know when you might be staying somewhere that has AC but no blankets and you'll be freezing at night, or you may just want it for your travels on buses, planes, etc.

6. Sleep whenever you can

You'll probably be tired almost all the time because of the level of energy you have to have to get through the day, so take naps and sleep whenever you have the opportunity (buses, planes, trains, couches, anywhere)

7. Prepare for emergencies

This means bringing or buying medicine or cough drops, and bringing extra money in case you see a t-shirt you just have to have (yes of course this counts as an emergency!)

8. Be open minded

There's going to be a lot of new people, places, and things you'll experience abroad, try to take it all in stride and go with it.

9. Don't go with the intention to find love

No matter how much time you spend abroad, try not to get involved with someone (whether from your group or from the country you're staying in) because it can make things really complicated. go to enjoy yourself, not to find someone to love.

10. Live like a visitor, not a tourist

Try to blend into the culture, don't make yourself stand out too much because people can tell tourists (especially Americans) from a mile away.

11. Do something you wouldn't normally do

This could mean stay out until 6am when the metros open again for the day, or try a new food that you wouldn't usually try. Its a new country, make a new you!

12. Stay in touch with your friends and family

Of course you're going to make new friends, but remember the people you have at home because I'm sure they're missing you a lot, and they all want to hear about your adventures!

13. Comfortable shoes

Just trust me on this one, even if you're active before you go (which I wasn't), you're going to be tired of all the walking you're going to do on your trip, and you're going to regret if you don't have a good pair of shoes or sneakers. And you should bring slippers, because even with comfy shoes, your feet will still hurt the next few days.

14. Bring a big purse with a leather strap

Be prepared to carry lots of stuff in your bag on the daily, and make sure you keep it close to you to avoid pickpockets. This is to also save room for snacks, because you may not be eating as much as you're used to during the day.

15. Bring portable phone chargers

With all the photos and apps you're using, be prepared for your phone to die at least once during the day, and be prepared to charge it on the go.

16. Look for things to do

Don't sit around and pity yourself for being bored, go find things to do! You can sleep when you're done traveling.

17. Know to take care of yourself

Know your limits, know what you can handle-whether its with drinking, exercise, eating, or anything else, make sure you don't overexert or put yourself in a dangerous situation.

18. Take care of your friends

You're all experiencing new territory together, don't leave anyone behind. Make compromises and have a plan for the day or night from the start.

19. Get a phone plan

You should talk to your phone carrier to check for an international plan, and if not, look into getting a new sim card in your new country. You want to be able to keep in touch with people back home, and nearby in case something happens.

20. Bring a credit card just in case

There were some instances where I needed to buy things online (like tickets to enter museums or parks beforehand) and it was really helpful to have a credit card. Make sure your card is accepted in your host country.

21. Make conscious memories as you go

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and forget to make really strong memories as you go, so I recommend keeping a log or journal of the things you do, and buying one small souvenir from every place to remember the things you did and saw. You will miss it, I promise.

Studying abroad was an unexplainable experience and I feel blessed to have had this amazing opportunity. I learned many things and met many special people along my journey, and I hope that if you get the opportunity to study or go abroad, you take it, and keep this advice with you.