10 Things Americans Do That Foreigners Will Never Understand

Trump and insanely sweet tea. Why?

427

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but Americans have some habits and things they do that well, are hard to get used to. And some of them I'll honestly just never understand! Why ruin a perfectly good cup of tea by adding ice and 10 gallons of sugar? And why ruin a perfectly good pizza by dipping it in ranch? There are even some rules and some laws that just don't make sense to me. While many parts of the American life are still pretty cool, here are some of the things Americans do that foreign people just don't get.

1. Turning right on red

So, even though the little white man appears for pedestrians, in America, cars turning right can still go, even when they're light is red! This usually ends in a car versus human game of chicken, a distracted driver and pedestrian running for their life, and lots of honking.

2. They put ranch on everything!

I mean, for any of you foreigners who have tried ranch, it's not even good. But Americans love to put it on literally EVERYTHING. Pizza, fries, salads, vegetables, ranch seasoning on chicken.

3. Every word is a curse word in America

Americans think that every word is a bad word. "H-E-Double Hockey Sticks"

4. Donald Trump

I'll just leave this one here.

5. Sweet tea

I love myself a nice cup of tea. Hot, with just a little bit of milk, and only a teaspoon or two of sugar. But, in America, why drink your tea like that? Add a shit ton of sugar until you start to feel it grit on your teeth and then serve over ice. This will never make sense to me.

6. The drinking age is 21

Ah, 21: the year every American waits for. 21 years of age seems like a really high drinking age when you compare it to literally everywhere else in the world. Americans are allowed to drive, pay bills, fight for their country, vote, but God forbid they drank a bud light.

7. They don't pay their servers

Servers or waitresses in America only get paid around $2 an hour! And this is only to cover taxes. So forget about leaving a small tip. Unless you leave about 15-20%, you'll be seen as rude or inconsiderate. Everywhere else in the world pays their servers an hourly rate. So when foreign people come in to eat and only leave a dollar to two, you can blame this silly rule.

8. You have to drive everywhere

It doesn't matter if you are bad at driving or if you don't like to drive; in America, you won't get around without a car. Forget about just popping down to the shop around the corner for some milk. If you are seen walking to the grocery store, you will get some funny looks. And there's basically no public transport.

9. Their love for white gravy

Is it made of sausage? It's lumpy? I really just don't get this one.

10. American Football

As hard as I may try to follow, I just don't understand the rules. And is it really foot-ball? You use your hands the most, and not your feet? And the ball looks more like an egg honestly.