There's No Shame In Wanting To Leave

There's No Shame In Wanting To Leave

I want the experience of somewhere I'm not comfortable with.

There's No Shame In Wanting To Leave
Josey Wheeler

Growing up in a small town, I have been constantly surrounded by the same people my entire life. People rarely leave, and those who do always seem to find their way back. I had the same friends since I was in Kindergarten and even when we graduated, we all went to colleges only 30 minutes away from home. I am guilty of not going to far from where I'm familiar with, but have found myself wanting the experience of leaving the older I get.

I moved out on my own at a young age, finding a way to break away from the small town I grew up in, isolating myself from those I have known my entire life and working to meet new people from all over. Moving out is a huge step, but it has been one of the greatest learning experiences I have encountered. I discovered my true friends when I realized it was not convenient to spend time with each other, I've learned to do things for myself, and have appreciated my family much more than before.

With all of these experiences and my life quickly moving towards the next steps in my life, I constantly find myself looking for internships and future careers in places elsewhere from where I'm familiar with (somewhere out of my comfort zone and somewhere that different from my hometown). When talking about leaving and wanting to leave, I sometimes get a negative response. There are so many opportunities out there, so why should I not take advantage of them and get that experience of a new place while I'm young.

Life is about adventures, stepping out of your comfort zone, and finding happiness. I want to experience those things and sometimes you hit a dead end when your stuck in the same place for all of your life. I think we all get to comfortable with our lives and I want to see what some place else has to offer. And who knows, maybe I'll realize it's not all it's cracked up to be, and I'll find my way back home.