There is Only One Person I Can Endorse this Election
Politics

and He is Neither a Major Nor Minor Party Candidate

6
Marissa Matsuzaki

I can’t remember any other election in which there was such weight in the media about endorsements. Oh the drama and intrigue over whether or not former opponents would endorse one another for their party’s sake! The gall of party leaders withholding endorsements! Religious leaders deciding whether or not to endorse.

I’m finding that getting behind a politician has its drawbacks. It is not only the discomfort that comes with disagreements at times, but the idea of representing someone who isn’t always worth that representation. I see the debates about whether or not to vote “the lesser of two evils”, “voting one’s conscience”, “smashing the two party system”, “being realistic about how it will be one of the two party candidates at the end of the day”, and so on. Each argument is flawed. To me, staying home is not an option. I will vote my conscience, realistically, in a way that I see as a wise choice for the direction of the nation.

So as I watched the debate this week, there were a few things I observed:

• Neither Hilary nor Donald could keep their composure and professionalism 100% of the time, often getting personal and defensive.
  • Hilary confidently articulates how she can approach economic, diplomatic and social issues in part the way Bill did in the 90s while Trump can confidently point out that she’s worked on it for 30 years and we are in massive debt with foreign and domestic terrorism on the rise.
  • They both had their share of accurate and inaccurate statements that were fact checked.
  • Both were exposed in embarrassing lies (Hilary’s email, Trump’s birther allegations, etc.)

I’ve looked at Gary Johnson’s policies as well. I’ve watched his demeanor in videos. Truthfully there are many things I see in his temperament and positions that are also the reason I have trouble with the two major party candidates. He is extremely liberal in most of his policies such as Hilary is in hers. Although Donald Trump has flip flopped more than a career politician, he has a few core positions that have been fairly consistent and I agree with; but his lose mouth and twitter account cause me to fear the possibility that he’ll retweet a rude meme about a dictator’s wife and really get us in a fix. I know many feel that Gary Johnson at least sets himself apart in that regard of professionalism, but when I googled him I got a 51 second video titled “Gary Johnson calls Trump a (expletive) AGAIN!” Really, the very concerns I have about Trump are not resolved in my conscience about Johnson.

While we may never agree with any candidate 100% and seek to choose the best we can, my resolve is this…

One of the most pressing issues we are facing is safety. Terrorism is increasing at an alarming rate both domestically and abroad. We have religious jihadists waging war on us and domestic terrorists who seek to harm our frontline defenders.

I do not have faith in a woman who risked our security for her own convenience and has so little remorse that she can look us all in the eyes, shrug her shoulders, and chuckle at her mistake. I am not pleased that our people stayed in Benghazi an extra month merely so she could make an appearance for the cameras. I do not see any incentive on her part to secure our borders, vet immigrants trying to come into the country (when ISIS already claims to use the refugee program to their advantage), or suspend travel from the most volatile places. I see that she wants to propose more training for cops and the earlier release of prisoners. I don’t feel safe electing her.

Gary Johnson’s position is a more passive one than the other two. He feels that we can save money by pulling out of these wars and leaving these other countries alone in hopes that they will leave us alone. He would only send the military if absolutely necessary and would cut military spending. I certainly don’t want our military spending any more time in the Middle East, but unfortunately our situation with terrorism has become worse since pulling out of places like Iraq (President Obama pulled troops out swiftly and ISIS grew). I don’t want to see our military spending in excess but I want to know that the funds will be there when they need them. I like that he wants to incentivize some immigration policies about border control, but I wish he promoted some stronger enforcement as our national security threats are extremely severe at this point in time. I don’t feel much safer with his policies.

Then there is Trump’s position. Although he hasn’t been consistent in many things, he has been consistent in this: Build a wall, suspend travel from dangerous places, severely vet immigrants who want to come here, and support law enforcement so that they can do their jobs. There is a lot about Trump I cannot get behind, it’s hard to believe a lot of things he says, but he has been consistent on this. If the nation were in a more peaceful state than it is now, I might have thought differently. But we are truly in a state of emergency and I believe need some drastic measures until the situation stabilizes. I no longer see this as “a lesser of two evils” choice, but one that in my conscience is in the best interest of our country.

All that said, I still have no full vote of confidence in any candidate. I have carefully narrowed down who I think it is right for me to vote for, but I offer no endorsement to this man. My endorsement goes to the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords; The Maker of Heaven and Earth; The one who will not lie to me; The one who will save us from the pestilence and give us refuge; The one who will send angels concerning us; The only reliable person in this whole corrupt operation.

I endorse Jesus Christ.

No, I’m not joking, or being overly religious, or pessimistic. I am completely serious. This election year has exposed our desperate need for a savior and none of the party candidates can be that person. We have a civic responsibility to hold these politicians accountable, make them earn our votes, vote according to what we believe is best for the country, and pray for our nation’s true salvation.

King David was a decent King. He was probably a breath of fresh air after Saul’s rule, but he was not without severe flaws. If you think Trump is a scoundrel with his shady love life, look at David’s history. But David was a warrior who loved his nation and loved His God; he was a man after God’s heart. He wrote Psalm 91 about his need for a protector and we need the same thing today.

Psalm 91

1

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High

will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2

I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,

my God, in whom I trust.”

3

Surely he will save you

from the fowler’s snare

and from the deadly pestilence.

4

He will cover you with his feathers,

and under his wings you will find refuge;

his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5

You will not fear the terror of night,

nor the arrow that flies by day,

6

nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,

nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7

A thousand may fall at your side,

ten thousand at your right hand,

but it will not come near you.

8

You will only observe with your eyes

and see the punishment of the wicked.

9

If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”

and you make the Most High your dwelling,

10

no harm will overtake you,

no disaster will come near your tent.

11

For he will command his angels concerning you

to guard you in all your ways;

12

they will lift you up in their hands,

so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13

You will tread on the lion and the cobra;

you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14

“Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;

I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15

He will call on me, and I will answer him;

I will be with him in trouble,

I will deliver him and honor him.

16

With long life I will satisfy him

and show him my salvation.”

Friends, as much as you love your country, I ask that you love God even more! Acknowledge his name and seek him to deliver us from our foes. King David was a sinner and imperfect ruler, but he brought justice and honor to his nation. So can the next president be used by Him; but don’t let yourself believe that the person can be our Savior.

John 16:33

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."