There Are More Than Two Genders And It's Time To Get Over It

There Are More Than Two Genders, And In 2020 It's Your Time To Get. Over. It.

There are more than two genders, and you need to get over it.

793

You hear and see people say it all the time: "There are only two genders."

The problem with this statement is that one, they usually aren't referring to gender (how one defines and presents oneself in society) but rather someone's sex (what genitals someone was born with). Two, if one is referring to there only being two sexes, they're still inherently wrong, as there are many variations in sex chromosomes and genitalia, which is lumped into a category of people called intersex. For example, people can be born with a phallus and also a uterus, or someone can be born with XXY chromosomes, instead of the typical XY or XX. How can one define themselves into a two-sex, male-female binary if their genitals are not traditionally like either?

Regarding this information about sex that you may or may not have known, one can already gather that there is cause for people to identify as a different gender that better fits who they are. There is also the case of hormones, which can play a part in someone's gender identity. For instance, someone with female anatomy could produce more androgen or testosterone, which can affect the way they present. Or someone with male anatomy could produce low levels of testosterone and androgen.

Biology has an effect on gender and sex, and with all these variations it assists along with psychology in creating a gender spectrum. Instead of gender being like a coin, with one side female and one side male, gender is like a wavelength of light. There are many variations that can't be confined to something two-sided.

People will call me a "special snowflake" because I believe that everyone should respect each other's pronouns and gender identities. They will say that I get offended way too easily.

But aren't they the ones getting offended?

They don't agree or like people who stray from this two-binary system. They are the ones who are offended by someone wanting to be respected for who they are.