10 Reasons Dance Is Important To Me

10 Reasons Dance Is Important To Me

Everyone needs an outlet to express themselves

29
10 Reasons Dance Is Important To Me
http://www.theartcareerproject.com/the-right-steps-toward-a-dance-career/103/

Everyone who dances has amazing things to say about their studio, but I'm convinced mine is the best for every reason possible.

1. Monday's were my favorite day because Monday's were tap days.

Usually everybody hates Monday's and dreads them, but I always looked forward to them. Whatever stress I had during the week was all gonna go away on Monday night because of tap. Tap is the only style of dance where you can bang your feet and it would be perfectly acceptable to do so, because your taps would make sounds. Being able to stomp, bang, and of course tap my feet made me feel better by the end of the night and gave me hope for a better week.

2. When all else failed, KC's classes had you in your feelings.

If tap didn't do it for me that night, there was always KC's class right after. KC's classes went from modern, to contemporary, to lyrical, and to hip hop. When we weren't practicing our dance, she would do a random combo which made the end of Monday nights even better. Whatever style of dance she chose to do a combo to, it always had you go to a place where you could relate. The dance had you in your feelings and everyone would go all out. KC was always hard on you, which ultimately made you a better dancer, and when you didn't feel like dancing, she was the one to put you in the mood.

3. If you wanted to feel alive for an hour or so, jazz was your favorite class.

Jazz ranges from a classical style of dance, to theater, hip-hop Jazz, or just regular jazz. This would be difficult to understand for anyone who didn't dance, but you can imagine it was always fun wondering which style of jazz you would be doing. Tuesday nights had you curious and excited all at the same time.

4. If hip-hop was your thing, then you never wanted to miss Wednesday nights.

Best hip-hop teacher award goes to Jona Biddle. Literally. My studio was never known for hip-hop, but when Jona came to teach for us, everyone wanted to be a part of his dances. His style was edgy, mixed with street hip-hop and all around had you feeling like you were at the club. When competition time came, we won best hip-hop dance which we never thought would be possible. If you didn't think you had it in you to do hip-hop, you would feel differently after taking one of his classes.

5. For those of you who loved lyrical, Thursday's were your day.

Lyrical was and is my favorite style of dance. It's my go to style when nothing else feels right. Dancing is so much more than one style. There are a million styles but when you find your favorite, it's like everything makes sense. Whenever something bad happened, I would look forward to Thursday's just to be able to do our lyrical dance and it would have me feeling the exact way I was supposed to feel. I couldn't explain it, but sometimes it would have you in tears afterwards. (In a good way of course).

6. Weekends were for solos.

If you had a solo, duo/trio, or small group, your weekends were always occupied. I only had solos the last couple of years and of course they were always lyrical. Solos were the best way to express yourself because it was just you on that stage and you had the power to do anything you wanted with that dance.

7. Your studio was your second home.

I swear I must've spent more time in my dance studio then I did in my own home. I was there every day after school and even on the weekends. I think I was only home when I had to shower and sleep.

8. The girls you danced with became your best friends/sisters.

It's like you had a second family to go along with your second home. Everyone was always together even when we weren't at the studio dancing. It's like we couldn't get enough of seeing each other.

9. When there was a death in someone's family, it was like a death in your family.

Everyone always was there celebrating someone's wedding, but when it came to a funeral, everyone was there too. Even if someone didn't know who passed away, they would be right by your side because you were like family.

10. When competition season came, all of our teachers got crazy.

It's not like they were never crazy to begin with, but when the competitions were right around the corner, everyone was serious. Having a competition in a hotel was the best because it was like having a giant sleepover with your second family. When it came time to actually get on the stage, everyone was always rooting for each other and by the end of the dance, our teachers were on the side cheering us on and looked so happy.

That was the best feeling.