If It’s 'Their' Fault, Who Are 'They'?

If It’s 'Their' Fault, Who Are 'They'?

The "they" you are referring to is yourself, your family, your peers, and the people surrounding you.
297

Over the weekend I watched a Netflix documentary called “Audrie and Daisy.”

If you haven’t seen it or even heard about it, you should take the time to watch it. For me, the documentary showed more of the investigation process for sexual assaults than other documentaries about sexual assault that I have watched previously.

The documentary is about two girls that get sexually assaulted by boys who they considered friends in high school. These girls end up getting trolled online by their peers and the communities they have lived in for their entire life.

In a specific part of the documentary, a cop that is investigating one of the girls sexual assault talks about how if you don’t have enough evidence the charges have to be dropped. He talked about how he said she said stories are not good enough and nothing was pointing to that girl being raped by the guys she said she was raped by.

The part that got me the most about him talking was how he blamed it on society saying that “that’s just the way society is”. And by him saying that it got me thinking about what people think society is and what society does.

Society doesn’t choose whose hot and who’s not.

Society doesn’t choose how much money you need to succeed.

Society doesn’t make the laws.

We as people choose all those things. We as people are society.

Society isn’t an underground government service that chooses how things go in the world.

Society isn’t a group of people that have been specially picked around the world to choose what happens in the world.

Society isn’t a rule book we have to follow. Nowhere does it say that you have to do this because society is that way.

Stop blaming things on society. Society is not an excuse for you to use.

Let me tell you what society is.

Society is us, we choose who’s hot and who’s not. We choose what the laws are. We choose everything.

We talk about wanting to change the society and then we blame things on society. If we want to change something then start as an individual or a group of people to change it.

Society can change by one person. There is no one to tell you, “you can’t change society because I am society and I chose what happens.”

If you don’t like the way something is in the world. Stop blaming it on society. Because society is the nation and the nation is the people living in it which is you and your friends and your family and the people surrounding you. We make everything happen in the world. If we don’t like something then we have to change it.

If we change things then the society will be different and get better. We have to change things for our anger of how society works will change.

The “they” you are referring to while blaming society for your problems is you and the many other people in this nation.